I just bought a house with a pool and have a few questions. I have already read the pool school. I only have a K1004 test kit, as that is all the pool store recommended for a beginner. From looking on this site more though it seems they were wrong. First, should I go exchange this one for a more extensive one?
Next, when I tested on Thursday, I only had about 1 PPM free chlorine, so I shocked it with 3 bags of Shock (the old homeowners left it behind) Didn't measure to know if I shocked it enough, this was before reading pool school.
I tested again today, here is what I am looking at. 3-6 Free, 5-10 Total Chlorine 7.5 PH 200 Alkalinity. Obviously too much Combined, and a little high on the Alkalinity. Should I shock again this soon? What is my best course of action?
Also, I see that bleach is my best bet, however I already have an auto chlorinator running with a few 3 inch pucks that were left. How should I handle this? Use both? Take the pucks out and just use bleach?