Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: In ground pool liner question

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

In ground pool liner question

I did not see a section for in ground pool questions so I figure I will ask here. The neighbor lady (friend of ours) has an inground pool. A couple of weeks ago, one of the neighbors decided to "help" her out by draining the pool to clean it for her. I have not been up to see it yet but apperantly the liner has come loose from the coping in a couple of spots. Never having messed with one of these I do not know what needs to be done. She contacted a couple of local pool stores and they quoted her $6,000 to fix it. At that price it sounds like it is something I should avoid. Are these much harder to work on than an above ground pool? I recall seeing a neighbor doing his own in ground liner replacement when I was a kid but never had anything to do with one. Any comments. I hope to get up to see it in the next day or so.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: In ground pool liner question

I have not tried one myself, but there are threads on here detailing the process. Use the google search at the very low left of page. Here is a video on installing one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60-U-IWb41A&feature=plcp
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

The longer the liner sits with no water in it especially in the heat, the more brittle it becomes and more difficult for it to have some stretch to get it in back in the coping. If she lets it go too long, she may have to get a new liner. That's why they usually don't recommend totally draining a vinyl liner.

4. Back To Top    #4

Just a note: my comments were assuming it was a new liner when I saw the $6000 dollar price tag. If trying to save the existing liner, like DeeMac said, get water back in there asap and cross your fingers that it will still work/look okay.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.