HELP! Aqua Trol intermittent power problem

Jun 10, 2012
Hello, I'm having some trouble with my Aqua Trol hoping to find some help here. At startup this season it seemed to be running fine, after a few days we were not seeing any chlorine being produced. I noticed the super chlorinate led was off when I knew I set it to that. After watching it for a while I noticed it would make a clicking sound, it was turning off and immediately back on again which resets the unit turning the super chlorinate function off. Some days its worse than others, that's the biggest problem here. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason for this so I'm at a loss. I spoke to a tech support agent the other day who seemed baffled by this situation. He had me run through the diagnostics to be sure the unit was getting the correct voltage and it was. He suggested that the fuse may be going bad or something with the relay, other than that, take it to a service center. Great. I'm not an expert in any way but the fuse idea doesn't seem likely. If it goes bad it just goes bad, it doesn't get better and then worse. Needless to say, I need to get to the source of this problem because the unit can't run unattended otherwise it isn't producing chlorine. We have been dumping bleach in periodically to keep the pool from turning.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks for your reply, I did read about this about a week prior to posting here. My problem is slightly different than what is being described here. After speaking to my Father who is an electronics expert he suggested trying the cheap fix first. He and the tech support agent I spoke to on my second call are saying that the clicking sound I'm hearing when the unit powers off and instantly back on is a relay and that the current limiter could be causing the problem. Before I spend $200-300 on a new board, I'll spend the $6 on the limiter and see what happens.

Your problem sounds exactly the same as the one I had. The power would go off when i heard the relay click. It was actually not the relay, but one of the wires leading to/from the fuse. When I heard the relay click, power would go off, when i pressed on the relay power would come back. I was sure it was the relay or the CL, but it wasnt.

aqua-rite-no-power-wasn-t-cl-or-k1-relay-t47305.html

CLB

Thanks for the detailed information, it seems now I will have to examine my unit more carefully. I am willing to try the CL just because it's a small expense, but I will certainly check the entire board/connections more closely. Your info is very much appreciated.

Ok, so here's an update. I first replaced the CL, no fix. After the second call to Goldline tech support, I replaced the main PCB, no fix. After the third call to tech support, I'm now simply being referred to a local technician. Frankly, at $45 just to show up and $30 for every 15 minutes he's here, that isn't an option. I'm already out a couple hundred bucks already. Now what? I guess I'm going to start at the fuse box and work my way out. I'm ready to trash the whole unit and go back to chemicals at this point.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.