Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: HELP! Some weird pump activity

1. Back To Top    #1

HELP! Some weird pump activity

Trying to fight my algae problem. Dosing with bleach all day yesterday. Everything worked all day while I was working on the pool. I have some air bubbles that I will have to address....

Woke up this morning and my waterfall was not going. Head out to the pump and the basket is empty. Shut the pump down and start looking over things. I did not find anything obviously wrong so I started it back up. It took about a minute to get primed and pumping, but it only stayed pumping for about 30 seconds. It was like someone just shut the water off. Three feed lines, drain and two skimmers.

I have it working now, though it is not pumping to full capacity. I have the drain feed open and my floor vacuum head connected to the deep end skimmer. If I turn the shallow skimmer valve on, it pumps for a bit and then quits drawing water.

Any ideas? I'm stumped.
    15,000 Gallon IG
    StaRite System 3 Cartridge Filter with new cartridges!
    Pentair Whisperflo 1 1/2 HP Pump
    RayPak RP2100 Digital Heater
    And, most importantly, the TF-100 test kit!

I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: HELP! Some weird pump activity

That usually indicates an air leak somewhere on the suction side of the plumbing. The most obvious possibility is that the pump strainer basket lid is not sealing correctly, but really the air leak could be anywhere.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: HELP! Some weird pump activity

Thanks Jason. I've got pumping again. It's not completely right as I still have some air bubbles, but at least it's pumping.
    15,000 Gallon IG
    StaRite System 3 Cartridge Filter with new cartridges!
    Pentair Whisperflo 1 1/2 HP Pump
    RayPak RP2100 Digital Heater
    And, most importantly, the TF-100 test kit!

I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.