Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Running pump - take cover off?

1. Back To Top    #1

Running pump - take cover off?

Do we have to take the cover off when we run the pump? (If this question doesn't show my newness to pool ownership I don't know what would!)
    26,500 gallons, Sand, AG, 1.5hp pump, installed August 2007

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Running pump - take cover off?

Quote Originally Posted by leadfootmitchell
    Do we have to take the cover off when we run the pump? (If this question doesn't show my newness to pool ownership I don't know what would!)
    what cover are you talking about? If it is to the strainer basket, you absolutely should not take the cover off when the pump is on. Can you take a picture with what you are talking about?
    17,800 gallon, IG pool, 595 sq feet (17x35x4.5 avg rectangle), Hayward 525 cartridge filter, diamondbrite, 2 hp 2 speed hayward tristar filter, Stenner 45mhp10 automatically chlorinating

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by leadfootmitchell
    Someone just posted a question about not getting any prime in their pump. It is possible you might need to take the cover off and fill it with water, put the cover back on and start the pump to prime the pump. However it is also possible the pump will prime by itself if you just turn it on.

(it should)
    17,800 gallon, IG pool, 595 sq feet (17x35x4.5 avg rectangle), Hayward 525 cartridge filter, diamondbrite, 2 hp 2 speed hayward tristar filter, Stenner 45mhp10 automatically chlorinating

4. Back To Top    #4

The pool cover (solar blanket).
    26,500 gallons, Sand, AG, 1.5hp pump, installed August 2007

5. Back To Top    #5

No you do not need to take the pool cover off to run the pump. It is a good idea when you swim though.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater