pool lighting problem

kim

Jun 10, 2012
I have an inground pool and had my lights repaired within the year.
Soon after or possibly even right after, the GFCI switch kept tripping whenever I turned on the switch for the lights.
The lights switch on and then immediately off.
I replaced the GFCI outlet but not the switch.
Could light bulbs with the wrong wattage been installed?

Thanks for any help or ideas on how to resolve my problem.
-kim

Welcome to TFP!

More than likely one of the lights wasn't sealed well when it was reassembled. What kind of lights do you have?

GFCI's don't won't trip due to a wrong size bulb. GFCI's only trip when there is a ground fault. Water mixed with electricity will cause such a fault. Somewhere there is a leak that is allowing an electrical connection to get wet and allow current to go to ground.

As a refresher on GFCI recepticles/breakers. There is a monitoring system built into these devices to monitor current flow into and back out of the the device attached. If there is an imbalance of ~5 milivolts or more it will trip.

I don't know what kind of light I have, but if the seal wasn't good, would the lights come on at all?
They do come on for that fraction of a second before the GFCI trips.
-kim

kim said:
I don't know what kind of light I have, but if the seal wasn't good, would the lights come on at all?
They do come on for that fraction of a second before the GFCI trips.
-kim
Yes, you will see a brief, very brief, flash of light. That is the circuit being made just before the GFCI detects a problem.

Yes, check this carefully. That GFCI switching off is telling you that there is a major problem with the electrical through the pool light circuit. In no way do you want to have anyone in the pool until that light is fixed. Is the light 120V or 12V? Is there water inside the light fixture? I agree that water inside the fixture is the most likely culprit, but it could also be that the lighting wire has been compromised and needs to be replaced. Remove the fixture from the light niche, remove its bulb and energize the circuit (with nobody in the pool, of course). If there was water in the light fixture, let it dry out for a while before doing this. If the GFCI still pops, there is a good chance you have a problem with the wire and you are getting a ground fault (e.g. current imbalance between line and neutral). If this is the case, it is likely that the fixture and cord will need to be replaced. If not, it could be that the circuit inside just got wet due to a problem with the install of the gasket. Make sure to replace the rubber gasket that is designed to keep water out of the fixture any time you change the bulb. I emphasize again that the GFCI is telling you there is something potentially very dangerous regarding your pool lighting. If any of this is beyond your skills, bring out a pool guy to check this before allowing swimmers in the pool, as there is significant potential for electrocution.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.