Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Testing for Copper

1. Back To Top    #1

Testing for Copper

Hey Guys,

Any way to test for copper? I haven't used any algecide in 4-6 weeks, yet my daughters hair is still get a greenish tint to it.

Thanks!
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Inground pool 29,000 gals

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Testing for Copper

There is a good test kit for copper, the Taylor K-1730. The K-1738 is also good, and is better for very high copper levels, but is rather more expensive.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Copper does not break down so isn't going to go away in just a matter of weeks. It is reduced through dilution with water that does not contain copper.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

Testing for Copper

Should I even bother testing for it? But, rather add something to just remove whatever is in there.
    Cincinnati, Ohio

5. Back To Top    #5

If you test for it then knowing how much there is can be useful in your deciding whether you need to do a partial drain/refill or whether using a metal sequestrant would be reasonable. If it were very, very high, then water replacement would be better, but if the level is relatively low then a metal sequestrant could work until you get some natural water dilution from rain overflow or partial drain when you close the pool in the winter.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    If you test for it then knowing how much there is can be useful in your deciding whether you need to do a partial drain/refill or whether using a metal sequestrant would be reasonable. If it were very, very high, then water replacement would be better, but if the level is relatively low then a metal sequestrant could work until you get some natural water dilution from rain overflow or partial drain when you close the pool in the winter.
    Exactly. My copper kit is on backorder from TFtestkits, but I do want to know what the level is. Finding out this spring after my pool turned Emerald, that our Municipal fill water has 1.2 ppm copper, that was the deciding factor in wanting to know what was in my pool. I haven't needed or used any algeacide in years, let alone copper based, so I knew it had to be coming from somewhere. I'm using a sequestrate this summer to get through, after getting my CYA in order & adding borates, along with using soft water 1" top offs, then doing a pretty heavy drain for my winter shutdown.
    12,900 Gal. 24' X 48" ABG Vinyl Round (17th Birthday)
    1HP Hayward Pump w/S180T Hayward Sand Filter
    AquaTrol RJ SWCG 2011 startup
    TFP Method since '09, TF100
    50ppm Borates, June '12

7. Back To Top    #7

Testing for Copper

Thanks guys, I'll order a copper test kit tonight. Going to test my fill water as well. We have a water softener in the house, but the hose I fill with bypasses it. Do you recommend I fill the pool with the softened water?
    Cincinnati, Ohio

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Do you recommend I fill the pool with the softened water?
    Posting a set of test results of your pool water is the only surefire way of saying, "yes", but the answer will likely be "yes".
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

It may be hard for a household water softener to keep up with the demand placed on it by filling a pool. Topping off now and then would be fine of course.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

I should have qualified my response but 257 caught it. Use you softener water to top off and maintain but, like he suggests, it will not have the capacity to fill the pool from scratch.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

When I converted my pool last spring to salt water it had unknown aged water, cya of 100 from using pucks an d alot of hardness, I decided to do a full drain of all 20000 gallons for a fresh start. We have ALOT of badness in our water here in Las Vegas, that's why you see the white band around lake Mead where the water level dropped, I have my water softener set at 30 grains (it can go to 90) Its a demand unit and fonts gallons normally it goes thru 40 pounds or less a month of salt. It took several 40 pounders over the two days of filling! I didn't want the hardness in my water and have the autofill and outside faucet conneced to softened. I have since added a bypass for the faucet so I can choose soft or not.

The salt consumtion on my softener was small compared to the 90 dollars I spent at Sam's for salt for the pool.
    20,000 gal. 32' x 17' freeform custom pool, 3ft. shallow - 8ft. deep end, Pentair Whisper flow 2.2 HP WF-6, Purex/Triton Nautilus FNS48 DE filter, 2 Intex Chlorine Generators (retired) SR Smith Rouge Rapids curved slide, The Pool Cleaner 4-wheel model w/Hayward large leaf canister. Tightwatt pool timer Spa: Beachport 5 person/350gal. Wishlist: move Neiko Tools pump to slide, solar system, Fountain, Automation. http://www.poolcalculator.com/

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by civicturbo
    We have ALOT of badness in our water here in Las Vegas, that's why you see the white band around lake Mead where the water level dropped
    The Las Vegas Valley Water District says your Total Hardness is about 288 ppm. Though high, the Calcium Hardness (CH) portion of that will be lower. Nevertheless, with evaporation and refill it can increase rather quickly over time. The Las Vegas Valley Water District says that 50-70 gallons per square foot is lost from evaporation so that's 80-112 inches per year or about 2 full pool volumes of water (if average 4.5 foot depth). So if no water softener were used, the hardness level would triple in just one year if the pool remained uncovered. It's a very dicey situation because you count on such evaporation to keep the water cooler during the day (otherwise the sun would heat it up). Your only other option would be to use a white or reflective pool cover, but if that were kept on most of the time then the water would get to the average of the day/night temps which would be too hot. If you kept it on only during the day and uncovered it at night, then the pool could stay cooler and have less than half the evaporation rate and hardness buildup. No easy choices here.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    We have ALOT of badness in our water here in Las Vegas, that's why you see the white band around lake Mead where the water level dropped
    The Las Vegas Valley Water District says your Total Hardness is about 288 ppm. Though high, the Calcium Hardness (CH) portion of that will be lower. Nevertheless, with evaporation and refill it can increase rather quickly over time. The Las Vegas Valley Water District says that 50-70 gallons per square foot is lost from evaporation so that's 80-112 inches per year or about 2 full pool volumes of water (if average 4.5 foot depth). So if no water softener were used, the hardness level would triple in just one year if the pool remained uncovered. It's a very dicey situation because you count on such evaporation to keep the water cooler during the day (otherwise the sun would heat it up). Your only other option would be to use a white or reflective pool cover, but if that were kept on most of the time then the water would get to the average of the day/night temps which would be too hot. If you kept it on only during the day and uncovered it at night, then the pool could stay cooler and have less than half the evaporation rate and hardness buildup. No easy choices here.
    Today
    High 102
    Low 82
    AVG 92............ Too hot? PERFECT
    19000 gal gunite,
    600 gal hottub,
    Intelliflo variable speed pump,
    Pentair 420 filter,
    Pentair 400k heater,
    Hayward Navigator Pro,
    TF-100
    Speed Stir ->->-> Great tool for easy testing

14. Back To Top    #14

Too hot
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Too hot
    Didn't the ice just come off the lakes?
    How long until the eelpout festival ?
    Too hot for MN............
    I do miss the 3 months of good weather
    and great people.
    19000 gal gunite,
    600 gal hottub,
    Pentair 420 filter,
    Pentair 400k heater,
    Hayward Navigator Pro,
    TF-100

16. Back To Top    #16

Vegaspool are you from Minnesota too? I was born and raised in Rochester, then moved to Winona then Minneapolis, left in 09 because of the cold and we like to do more outside than just 3 months but Darn I miss the people and the greenery.

I spose I should ask a on topic question. Is the copper test on tftestkits a good one? Anyone have 1st hand experience? I never trusted strips plus their expensive
    20,000 gal. 32' x 17' freeform custom pool, 3ft. shallow - 8ft. deep end, Pentair Whisper flow 2.2 HP WF-6, Purex/Triton Nautilus FNS48 DE filter, 2 Intex Chlorine Generators (retired) SR Smith Rouge Rapids curved slide, The Pool Cleaner 4-wheel model w/Hayward large leaf canister. Tightwatt pool timer Spa: Beachport 5 person/350gal. Wishlist: move Neiko Tools pump to slide, solar system, Fountain, Automation. http://www.poolcalculator.com/

17. Back To Top    #17

Vegaspool are you from Minnesota too? I was born and raised in Rochester, then moved to Winona then Minneapolis, left in 09 because of the cold and we like to do more outside than just 3 months but Darn I miss the people and the greenery.

I spose I should ask a on topic question. Is the copper test on tftestkits a good one? Anyone have 1st hand experience? I never trusted strips plus their expensive
    Yep, born and raised in North Branch then Minneapolis for college.
    Nice weather here no squeeky snow for me.

Back on topic.
    I like the green tint on my dogs tail.
    19000 gal gunite,
    600 gal hottub,
    Pentair 420 filter,
    Pentair 400k heater,
    Hayward Navigator Pro,
    TF-100