Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: A little murky/cloudy

1. Back To Top    #1

A little murky/cloudy

My pool water is looking a little cloudy. I changed the filter, cleaned out the pump hoses, skimmer connections etc. When I tested this morning the levels were

FC 5
    Bromine 10
    PH 7.5
    TA 40
    TH 200
    CYA 40

I know the TA is low, but don't think that causes the cloudiness. Any thoughts, tips, suggestions? We put the pull up on 5/31 and haven't even swam in it yet. I've been in a couple times to vacuum it out but other than that it's been to cold/rainy to swim. This is the third day it's been a little cloudy. The FC did drop significantly over night the night before last so I shocked the pool and now the FC is staying about the same.

I am a new pool owner. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    18'x48" ultra frame pool w/stock pump and filter installed 5/31/12.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: A little murky/cloudy

Most likely you had the start of an algae bloom two days ago, which you caught very quickly. And now you are just waiting for the filter to catch up and filter out all the dead algae. The standard Intex filters really aren't very good. Their sand filters are much better.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: A little murky/cloudy

Thank you. We have a Hayward pump and DE filter to install. I'm just waiting on my husband to figure out what he needs to buy to convert it.
    18'x48" ultra frame pool w/stock pump and filter installed 5/31/12.