Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heater Replacement

1. Back To Top    #1

Heater Replacement

Looking to replace the old non working natural gas heater. It was a Raypak 2100 400,000 btu natural gas heater. Would a heyward H Series 250k btu natural gas be sufficient? We mainly only want the heater for the attached spa, but may use it to heat the pool once or twice a season for pool parties if the water temp isn't warm enough.

Would this fit our needs?
    25,000 gallon Concrete/Plaster Pool
    Pentair WFDS-26 - Installed Spring 2012
    Pentair Quad DE 100 - Installed Spring 2012
    Pentair Kreepy Krauly 820 - In Service 05/26/2013
    K-2006 Test kit, Intermatic P1353me Digital Timer, Stenner 85MHP5

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Heater Replacement

There are significant advantages to having the larger heater. The smaller one will work, but it will take much longer to bring things up to temperature (nearly twice as long).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    There are significant advantages to having the larger heater. The smaller one will work, but it will take much longer to bring things up to temperature (nearly twice as long).
    I figured as much. That being said, I'm looking to pick one up used so if the price is right. If I can get a larger one, I will.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

What was/is wrong with the old one?
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by danpik
    What was/is wrong with the old one?
    There was some sort of heat issue that caused the wiring to be burnt/frayed. It doesn't reliably ignite and there was some sort of issue that caused the previous pvc to warp, not sure if it was from the hot water back flowing into the pipe incorrectly or what.

6. Back To Top    #6

I have a Hayward 250K BTU that I picked up for a song on Craigslist and I'm very happy with it. I have about the same number of gallons to heat as you (mine is 28,000) and I find that it heats about a degree per hour.

I've only used it to bring the water up to temp at the beginning of season and then to make sure the water is up to 85 degrees for a party occasionally. It definitely does the job. I'd recommend putting a cover on the pool every evening to make sure the warm water you "bought" doesn't evaporate.
    28K, 20' x 40' IG - Vinyl Liner, Hayward DE Filter, 1.5HP Pump, 250K Hayward BTU Heater, Aquabot Breeze 4WD robotic cleaner