Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: When is it time to replace light niches?

1. Back To Top    #1

When is it time to replace light niches?

One of our pool lights burnt out, I replaced the bulb with 300w (300 w is what the fixture calls for) feit, and it immediately blew. I did notice when removing the old bulb that the very bottom of the the Edison base had detached, (the bulb glass did not seperate from the Edison base) just a small 3-4 cm round piece of metal with 1 strand of filiment. I used a flathead screwdriver to scrape and unlodge. Anyway, I found this odd, after replacing countless lights around the house, never experienced this before. The inside of the fixture is dry, I am wondering if the actual light niche is bad, how do you know when it's time to replace? Appreciate insights. Thank you.
    20k gal Free Form Gunite pool/spa
    Laars LXI 400k Natural Gas Heater
    Pentair Clean Clear Plus Cartridge 420
    Purex Triton Whisper Flow 2 hp Pump
    Jandy RS8 Pool Spa Control

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: When is it time to replace light niches?

You need a new fixture, the part the bulb goes inside of which can be removed from the wall.

You don't need a new niche, the part that is built into the wall and can't be removed. The only thing that can go wrong with the niche is for it to leak. There isn't any way the niche could cause the bulb to blow out.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, sorry for using wrong description, how difficult is changing the light fixture? Is this DIY or call the pool guy repair? Also if replacing 1 should I consider replacing all 3 (2 pool 1 spa) at the same time. Pool is 12 years old, how long should fixtures last?. Last question what should I expect to pay for this type of repair, for 1 or all 3. Thanks again.
    20k gal Free Form Gunite pool/spa
    Laars LXI 400k Natural Gas Heater
    Pentair Clean Clear Plus Cartridge 420
    Purex Triton Whisper Flow 2 hp Pump
    Jandy RS8 Pool Spa Control

4. Back To Top    #4

It's a pretty straightforward DIY thing. You put on a mask, go down and find the screws, and unscrew the fixture. You should then be able to pull the fixture in it's entirety out and onto the deck as there will be plenty of wire to allow for this. You make the replacement while you have the light on the pool deck and then reinstall in reverse fashion. One thing to also replace when you do this is the gasket that creates the seal.

5. Back To Top    #5

video show how it is done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GlR5cm0SrE

Remember to leave the light on the ledge of the pool before you cut the length of the wire. You want to have enough wire so you can remove the light fixture to the ledge to change out the light when it burns out.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida