Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Has anyone used this stuff in the BBB method

Has anyone used this stuff in the BBB method

Ran across this at Menard's (the local big hardware store)
    http://www.menards.com/main/paint/clean ... c-8156.htm

From the MSDS, it has the same concentration of hydrochloric acid as the normal muriatic acid; however, it also has a few other compounds in the solution.

I haven't purchased any of either as of yet as I'm using up the HTH-pH-Down we purchased a few weeks ago.

-wc
    Intex Ultraframe 14'x3.5-Round (4000ish-gal) AG - Vinyl - Intex 5667EG Sand Filter 1600gph :)
    ( retired: 637R Crtrge 1000gph someday it may have another life as a water fountain... or feet washer! Solar Water Heater? )

:mrgreen: Click here to Goto Pool School. :scratch: How Much Of What? Click Here - Poolcalculator.com :lookhere: TestKits

Re: Has anyone used this stuff in the BBB method

It is simply HCl in a weaker concentration than the standard 31.45% that we are used to seeing. It fumes less and is therefore, a little more friendly to work with. The problem that I see is that it contains extras, one of which is urea. Urea that is present in your water will cause a reduction in your FC since urea is one of the common swimmer wastes that is broken down by chlorine.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

Someone else here tried it. Didn't work out and went to the regular stuff. Green is code word for "doesn't work"

It's like PD-680, now illegal in many many nations, but it's the best part cleaner ever! Who cares if blood seeped out of my skin if I used it too long! All the "green" replacements that came out for it just don't work as well!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    Rob B
    15x30 Oval AGP - 10500 gallons
    Hayward 150 lb Sand Filter w/crocogator
    3/4 HP Pentair Dynamo Two Speed Pump
    Butterfly made me do it...

Quote Originally Posted by Kias
    ... Green is code word for "doesn't work"...
    Good one!
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

Besides, I would look pretty funny standing next to my pool with a crazed look on my face, bellowing out, "MUHAHAHAHA!!!" If there wasn't any smokey fumes coming from the liquid I was pouring into the pool.

That smokey stuff is what really sets the ambiance!

Rob B

NW PA, halfway between Pittsburgh and Erie in the PA snowbelt

Quote Originally Posted by Kias
    Green is code word for "doesn't work"
    Love it! Wish they would change the name of Simple Green because of that statement. 99.999 times out of 100, the statement is true. Simple Green I think is the only 0.001% product.
    Mike

22' round Intex UltraFrame pool, Intex 633T 2500gph paper cartridge filter/pump
    with broken Intex SWG, using bleach this year
    TF-100 test kit

This is certainly the answer I was suspecting given the urea and citric acids in the solution.
    "...Green is code word for 'doesn't work'" soooooo often the truth.
    thnx
    -wc
    Intex Ultraframe 14'x3.5-Round (4000ish-gal) AG - Vinyl - Intex 5667EG Sand Filter 1600gph :)
    ( retired: 637R Crtrge 1000gph someday it may have another life as a water fountain... or feet washer! Solar Water Heater? )

:mrgreen: Click here to Goto Pool School. :scratch: How Much Of What? Click Here - Poolcalculator.com :lookhere: TestKits

Oh, forgot about simple green, that stuff is awesome! But I think it's named after the color of it. Since it came out about thirty years ago, way before the "green movement" started, I don't even consider it a "green" product. Even if it is environmentally friendly.

Rob B

um, isn't urea found in urine? Geez, I'll have my kids pee in the good stuff, up charge it and then resell it as 'green'. I spent a WHOLE summer trying to get the urea out of my 1st pool. Now people pay Menards to put it back in. Groooosssss
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 8corneflakes
    uGeez, I'll have my kids pee in the good stuff, up charge it and then resell it as 'green'.
    ROTFL

That's probibly what they did... better check the pat. office

-wc

If you want Muriatic Acid that fumes less, then just get the half-strength 15-16% variety without any other additives. Hopefully you can get it at about half the price of full-strength.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

I just read that link to the product. The problem seems to be that it's to reduce ph in "swing pools", not swimming pools. Now there's an image
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme