Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: About to GAG! How can this BE?!

1. Back To Top    #1

About to GAG! How can this BE?!

Hey folks...newbie here.

Bought a money pit/home last June. Renovated a LOT. In-ground liner pool had a lot of issues ....spillway spa, heater, leaky liner...the list went on. Finally...we couldn't take another hole/leak worry so we JUST replaced the liner yesterday. Beautiful new 'designer series liner' by GLI. Urgh. So...it's almost filled...about 6 inches to go. I'm sitting at the top step/coping area and admiring the pretty new liner which goes LOVELY with this (kind of odd color choice) gray steps. Not sure if they're fiberglass or what...they're 'pebbly' and are even 'blistered' a bit in a few places. But I was warned that it was VERY costly to replace these steps. So...anyway...admiring the new liner and glance down and see a FIVE INCH HAIRLINE CRACK on the very top step. For the love of GOD, shoot me now. I mean...the new liner isn't 24 hours old yet and now another issue to fret about?!! I didn't notice it before. We've had a leak detector here 3 times repairing leaks and he never noticed it. Could it have happened while the pool/steps were dry and we shouldn't have walked on them? Either way...WHAT NOW?! I need a ray of sunshine, folks. This red wine isn't helping. Yet.

I appreciate your thoughts...

Drowning 'in the red'...

Cheryl
    Charlotte, North Carolina

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: About to GAG! How can this BE?!

Don't worry yet, it may just be cosmetic.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Oh NOOOOOOO! How disheartening. I can't help because I don't know the answer. But I was wondering what GLI liner you ended up getting? Hopefully someone here can help you.

theresa
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

4. Back To Top    #4

Really?! That's a bit promising...but how will I know?
    C.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1
    Don't worry yet, it may just be cosmetic.

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi Theresa! I got yours and I LOOOOOOOOOVE it! I was thinking of you tonight as I sat there watching it fill (before noticing the crack) and thought...'Can't wait to post a pic on here to show Theresa'...

Now I'm just a ball of anxiety. ONE MORE THING! Urgh!

Cheryl

Quote Originally Posted by 8corneflakes
    Oh NOOOOOOO! How disheartening. I can't help because I don't know the answer. But I was wondering what GLI liner you ended up getting? Hopefully someone here can help you.

theresa

6. Back To Top    #6

Cheryl,

hang in there...seems like there's always one more thing. My husband has experience in fiberglass repair, but on cars. He seems to think the steps can be repaired if you don't fill up to where it is cracked.

As a side note, I had a 'red wine' week myself. My kids are all out of school and driving me nuts!

theresa
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

7. Back To Top    #7

If the crack is underwater take some red food coloring (other colors will work) in a squeeze bottle and slowly squeeze drops out running along the crack, if they swirl and disappear into the crack you have a leak, if they just slowly fade into the surrounding water you don't. Just move slowly so eddy currents from your hands don't disturb the drops.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

8. Back To Top    #8

If it does turn out to be a crack, wouldn't it be as simple as some epoxy and fiberglass material to cover the crack? Seems like a simple repair, but I don't have a fiberglass pool. Anyone know how to fix a crack in fiberglass here?
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.

9. Back To Top    #9

The red food coloring is a great idea. Wish I had thought of that with my last above ground. I also agree it might be cosmetic.
    18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator

10. Back To Top    #10

I tried the food coloring idea (thanks, guys!) and the food coloring just floated there. No movement at all. I'm still a bit flipped out that it'll get worse. There are a few companies around here that say they can repair it...but matching the color is the problem. My pool guy says it just never looks right when I just generally questioned him about it (nor was he volunteering any responsibility for the crack or not checking the steps BEFORE doing the liner and filling the pool). He suggests it's cosmetic as well and just to leave it alone. So...I guess that's all I can do at this point. And try the food coloring every now and again to be sure I'm not losing water through the crack and causing more 'underground' damage. Urgh. What a worry!

More red tonight. And not the food coloring!

Cheryl
    Charlotte, North Carolina