Having issues with filter and chemistry

Jarodnaaron

LifeTime Supporter
May 28, 2012
Need help with chemistry and filter

I had a problem with the cya in my pool being above 100, about 120-140. I drained a small amount of water and replaced water. Today i vaccuumed to waste. And am replacing water. Now, when I turn on the filter, the pump runs but there is no circulation in the pool. The filter gauge stays at 0.

What could be the problem?

BTW, my chemistry is as follows:(with TFT-100 pool kit)

26700 gallon gunite pool

Fc3.5
TA 160
CH 270
CYA 90-100

DE filter

Dawn

Do you see air in the pump strainer basket? If so the pump is unable to prime properly. If the pump strainer basket is full of water then something else is blocking the water flow, perhaps a valve is out of position.

On the multi port valve the knob is pointing towards waste. What other valves would be involved?

No the pump strainer is full of water.

Its too dark to take a picture, to see if the valves are in the wrong position

If the valve is on waste then you should not have pressure in the filter or flow in the pool. The water will be going out the waste pipe.

Put the valve on filter.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

No it was pointing towards filter when I was trying to filter! This morning I even tried to just put it on recirculate-and Nada, nothing even came out of the returns. Should I be waiting more than 3 minutes for the pump to prime. And when I shut off the pump and move the muti port valve handle to a different setting, water comes out of the waste pipe. Is this normal? Water level is kind of low in the pool. The water is about grazing the bottom of the skimmers. I have a well so, the water comes a bit slowly out of the hose to fill up pool. Could the water level be a problem.

Here are pictures of the valve settings

Here are picturesof the filters and where the valves are pointed:
[attachment=2:751rd1q4]photo.jpg[/attachment:751rd1q4][attachment=1:751rd1q4]photo-2.jpg[/attachment:751rd1q4][attachment=0:751rd1q4]photo3.jpg[/attachment:751rd1q4]

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 77
  • photo-2.jpg
    photo-2.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 77
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 77

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Does the pump fill with water or not? If you ate try to pull from the skimmer which is empty then yes that is a problem.

So does the pump prime or not? There should be no air in the pump basket. If it is pulling from an empty skimmer you would have air in the pump.

We can only base our response on the info you provide.

The definition of being primed is full of water being pumped with basically no air in the pump.

Can you suck from just the floor? Is the skimmer full of water when the pump is on? If neither, then you obviously have to add water.

OK, thank you for your patience I am a total newbie. I bought the house with the pool. I generally have a pool service take care of things but the pool has gone green several times with me paying others to take care of it;I'm thinking if I learn enough I can save myself 300 dollars a month.

1. Now, the pump has water in it before I start it. Please see picture [attachment=2:1uh9dpw6]photo-11.jpg[/attachment:1uh9dpw6]

2. When I start the pump, the water goes down to nothing. Does this mean that the pump is not priming?

3. In terms of the skimmer having water in it when the pump is going, it seems to have water in it, there is just no sign of filtration. Please see picture [attachment=1:1uh9dpw6]photo-22.jpg[/attachment:1uh9dpw6]

4. Finally, here is a picture of the water level next to the skimmer. I know that I need more water( which I am trying to add), the question is would this water level cause the filter not to be able to function? [attachment=0:1uh9dpw6]photo-33.jpg[/attachment:1uh9dpw6]

Attachments

• photo-11.jpg
    photo-11.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 34
  • photo-22.jpg
    photo-22.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 34
  • photo-33.jpg
    photo-33.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 34
So the water in the skimmer does not move when the pump is on?

You're pump is not priming. Try filling the pump with water from a hose then quickly put the lid on and start the pump.

Post a few pictures of the equipment pad so we can see any valves you have.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.