Making bulk 12.5%+ more manageable?

sefrlw

Mar 25, 2008
Wake Forest, NC
Ok so I like Dave but my 12.5 bleach in bulk in 5 gallon containers. Over the years I have saved a few 1.5 and 1 gallon bottles to make the process a little bit more manageable. Needless to say I am growing tired of my transfer method. I siphon over a full hour 10 gallons into assorted bottles. I know I could get a bigger hose to speed it up but I don't want it to become too fast that I spill during transfer. Give me some other ideas in how to get the bleach to the bottles. I have searched for manual pumps and I can't seem to find any I like for 5 gallon containers. [attachment=0:g4rb8392]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339285665.294757.jpg[/attachment:g4rb8392]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339285665.294757.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339285665.294757.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 867
You can get a screw-on lid with a spigot on it for about three bucks (from alanda) replace your current lid with that lid and then turn the carboy on it's side and use the spigot to fill your smaller containers...easy peasy. :mrgreen:

Instead of using the smaller bottles, siphon out of the larger bottles directly into the pool as needed.

When using the larger jugs (2.5 gallons and up), I use a length of Polyethylene tubing (about 3/8 to 1/2 inch ID) to siphon the bleach out of the jug into the water. Available at most hardware stores by the foot.

1) Fill the tubing with water by submerging the tubing under water and put your finger over one end.
2) Put the other end in the jug.
3) Put the end with your finger under water and remove your finger.
4) When the correct amount of bleach has been dispensed, pull the tubing out of the liquid chlorine to allow the tubing to clear.
5) Rinse the tubing in the pool water so that no bleach is left in the tubing.

Warning: Do not suck on the tubing to get the siphon started.

efArKSIZhr0mFn1_3DnVpXL6R-kFCVQnhU40h9xqEozlIZ0DDF8xluZ8tK0yp-RpmVMM-gvc5meEjAgIh-8yr6u0ElPbZ0bDNoDoi0c4NL3r_kGWcnmK_tpC5EH3InBDzVWOwUufBNuhpWzZQWepzNp9e8eyseblzKxTb0E7rYmcMFOSVVENiiw

Example

post296021.html

bibeaud said:
Get a chlorine carboy pump from Beckson. http://www.becksonindustrial.com/poolpump.html

I just purchased one. I put a small outdoor table next to my Liquidator and attached a 1/2" id tube that transfers the liquid chlorine from the 5gal carboy directly into the Liquidator black funnel. I used it tonight for the first time.

Before this I used a spigot screwed into a 70mm carboy cap.

THAT is exactly what I am looking for. Bonus below it, cap wrench! I guess I just call them to order?

JamesW said:
Warning: Do not suck on the tubing to get the siphon started.

Now that just sucks the fun out of everything!

Wonder which one is worse from a medical standpoint...

Chlorine or gasoline.

I'll guess gasoline. I'll have to ask the boss when she wakes up.

Gasoline definitely has a unique taste that lingers for quite some time!

do you do the transfer at night? I think 12.5% is pretty sensitive and letting it sit out in the sun like that could really decrease the cl levels in it.

I use a stenner pump with a partially buried 15 gallon tank. I would love to be able to top it off 5 gallons at a time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Typically I do it in the evening when the sun is low on the horizon not in the blazing daylight sun.

I am really not too concerned with the degradation that may happen during this period. The supplier I get this from stores a large pallet container of it on his dock during the day to facilitate delivery to a trailer or vehicle that pulls up with carboy's or larger containers on trailers. It sits in the sun all day, Even then when I get it it is hot! Hot as in more than 12.5%. I have no idea how hot but i have had it burn me slightly. Not something I do regularly. I think 6% is like drinking water compared to this stuff. I leave it sit over the winter and it is still really strong after 6 months in the garage.

Bibeaud.....
Do you need to call that company to order the pump or am I missing how to order online? We found a local place that sells 12.5 in 5 gallon carboys for $13. Not bad in my mind. :)

duraleigh said:
You can get a screw-on lid with a spigot on it for about three bucks (from alanda) replace your current lid with that lid and then turn the carboy on it's side and use the spigot to fill your smaller containers...easy peasy. :mrgreen:

Hi Dave - sorry for the ignorance, but what/who is alanda? I've spent a while googl'ing, but everything I've found are wholesale sites with minimum orders/exorbitant shipping, etc. I'm in NH and would love to get my hands on a couple of these (just converted my neighbor to a BBB'er) for short money (tired of dealing with siphioning, etc).

Awesome site - thanks! I called around to about 6 different local pool stores before I found the spigot/cap - pricier than the website you pointed out (spigot and cap was $9), but much better than the $25 for the beckson pump (plus freight which I didn't even ask how much that would be).

So now I understand why people would spend the money on a pump. The spigot is nice/no spills, but slowwww...(pour a little, big slow glurp, repeat). Makes perfect sense now that I've seen it in action. Takes a while to fill up 5 gallon bottles... Too bad I can't pop air holes in the refillable carboys.

I'll be asking santa for a pump this year :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.