PebbleSheen says TA should be 80-120

ej76az

Jun 12, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I guess I am re-asking the OP's question, but I'm confused. According to TFP's "Water Balance for SWGs" webpage, TA should be 60-80. PebbleTec's support webpage for PebbleSheen says TA should be 80-120. My Pentair Intellichlor manual says TA should be 80-120. Are PebbleTec and Pentair assuming the use of pucks (like OP's PB)?

Re: Correct TA for pebblesheen

Thanks, Jason. I guess BBB is some kind of cult from the point of view of the lamestream pool establishment; they just assume the use of trichlor pucks and don't even consider the possibility that some people don't use them.

Re: Correct TA for pebblesheen

It's not just that. Even the NSPF CPO courses talk about 80-100 ppm TA when using hypochlorite sources of chlorine and 100-120 ppm when using acidic sources such as Trichlor. Historically, there has been a lack of understanding of how much TA affects carbon dioxide outgassing and a mistaken belief that because the pH of chlorinating liquid and bleach is so high that this must be what makes the pH rise -- that is, many people didn't account for the fact that chlorine consumption/usage is acidic. Yes, this is very lame, but is pretty typical of the pool/spa industry where somebody somewhere gets something wrong and everyone else repeats it like lemmings. Unfortunately, some of this stuff gets baked into some state/county codes and then the commercial/public pool folks end up spending way more in acid then they need to because they are forced to maintain a minimum 80 ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.