Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PebbleSheen says TA should be 80-120

1. Back To Top    #1

PebbleSheen says TA should be 80-120

I guess I am re-asking the OP's question, but I'm confused. According to TFP's "Water Balance for SWGs" webpage, TA should be 60-80. PebbleTec's support webpage for PebbleSheen says TA should be 80-120. My Pentair Intellichlor manual says TA should be 80-120. Are PebbleTec and Pentair assuming the use of pucks (like OP's PB)?
    Pool: PebbleSheen; Pentair WhisperFlo 1.5hp; Pentair IntelliChlor IC40; Paramount PV3 in-floor cleaning; Pentair CCP420 cartridge filter; Polaris PowerFall 48" sheer descents (2); 8000 gal
    Spa: L.A. Spas San Juan; ozone; 386 gal

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Correct TA for pebblesheen

ej76az, yes. They are assuming you are using trichlor pucks.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, Jason. I guess BBB is some kind of cult from the point of view of the lamestream pool establishment; they just assume the use of trichlor pucks and don't even consider the possibility that some people don't use them.
    Pool: PebbleSheen; Pentair WhisperFlo 1.5hp; Pentair IntelliChlor IC40; Paramount PV3 in-floor cleaning; Pentair CCP420 cartridge filter; Polaris PowerFall 48" sheer descents (2); 8000 gal
    Spa: L.A. Spas San Juan; ozone; 386 gal

4. Back To Top    #4

It's not just that. Even the NSPF CPO courses talk about 80-100 ppm TA when using hypochlorite sources of chlorine and 100-120 ppm when using acidic sources such as Trichlor. Historically, there has been a lack of understanding of how much TA affects carbon dioxide outgassing and a mistaken belief that because the pH of chlorinating liquid and bleach is so high that this must be what makes the pH rise -- that is, many people didn't account for the fact that chlorine consumption/usage is acidic. Yes, this is very lame, but is pretty typical of the pool/spa industry where somebody somewhere gets something wrong and everyone else repeats it like lemmings. Unfortunately, some of this stuff gets baked into some state/county codes and then the commercial/public pool folks end up spending way more in acid then they need to because they are forced to maintain a minimum 80 ppm.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"