Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool owner first self test..

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool owner first self test..

Hi everyone, been reading up on the boards and purchased a test kit from TKTestKits. Just got done with my first reading.
    TC - .5-1
    PH - 7.5
    FC - 1
    CC - .5
    TA - 180
    CH - 470
    CYA - 0

This is my first pool, came with the house. I originally had my water tested by a local pool place and they gave me a list of things to add totaling over $200 so I went in search of the DIY way. Since adding everything they recommended I have been adding the 3" tabs to the basket and running the pump only a few hours a day. What do you guys recommend from here?

Thanks for any help.
    15k gallon 17x27 in ground vinyl, 1hp hayward superpump, hayward perflex ec65

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: New pool owner first self test..

We're gonna suggest purchasing CYA and bringing it up to around 30ppm (or more) but tell us what your water looks like first
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Water looks pretty good, we have had a ton of rain lately so I vacuumed this morning and brushed everything down.

4. Back To Top    #4

You shouldn't use trichlor tablets in the skimmer unless the pump is running 24/7. They slowly dissolve while the pump is off creating an area of high FC low PH water that can damage the pump seals and the heater when the pump turns on again.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

If you must use Chlorine Tabs, which in your case will likely add some beneficial CYA, put them in a floater out in the pool.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok, I'll get a floater, I'm hesitant to run the pump 24/7 because I was keeping an eye on the DE filter pressure and it was running high. It has since leveled off. I really need to invest in a timer to run it.

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok been busy the last few weeks and it has been raining up here. Just bought stabilizer from a local pool store but it didnt have any active ingredients on it.. is anyone familiar with this stuff? If not I can return it and grab something else..

8. Back To Top    #8

What is the listed ingredient? That looks like the right stuff ... the dosages seem a little higher than the poolcalculator.

Add your pool details in your signature ... we can not help with dosages if we do not know the volume of your pool.

Are you intending to stop using the tablets after you add the stabilizer?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for the help... thats the thing, no listed ingredients.. says caution contains cya so I wasnt sure of concentration. After i get the cya up I would like to switch to just bleach found 12.5% at the local bj's wholesale for a decent price. Also the size is based on the pool calculator with an average of 5 feet (shallow - slope - deep end)

10. Back To Top    #10

OK, so if you are at zero, I would suggest adding 4 lbs which according to the poolcalculator should put you close to 32ppm if your pool is 15k gallons.
    Put it in a sock in front of a return. Squeeze whenever you walk by. Let it mix for a week. Re test and see where you are at. Then you may want to add another 2 lbs or so.

Once you add it, assume you have 30ppm and use that for your required FC numbers from the chart in Pool School.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

Ok, will report back as soon as I get results.