What size Pump - Had 1.5 HP but was that too big??

Jun 9, 2012
Hi -need new pump - Bought house 4 yrs ago - 16X32 In-ground pool - 4'shallow & 8'deep - Have Hayward Pro series sand filter Model S244T with 300lbs sand. Pump sits about 2 -3 ft above water line with discharge running up to pump house roof (8' high) to home made solar heater using 1.5" black PVC pipe (10-12 rows each 16' long). Pump sits 10' from skimmer and there is one skimmer and one deep end drain. The guy who put the pump in bought a Craftsman 1.5 HP and it has ran OK till now. He had it on a timer to go 15 min on and 15 min off for 14 hours. In reading posts I have seen where people with similar pools get by with 3/4 HP pumps. I am looking at the Hayward Max Flow II as it seems a good value. Can anyone tell me their opinion? 3/4 HP or 1 HP or 1.5 HP ??? Hayward or spend more for better? My electricity rates are only .06 kwh Thanks

Jason - If I use a 3/4 HP pump two speed will it be able to get water up to my pump house roof (8' high) and will my return jet have enough force in them to circulate the water? Right now my farthest return jet has a weak flow with the 1.5 HP.
Thanks

A smaller pump will mean that the return jets won't be as strong, but really there is no need for the return jets to be any specific strength. The jets can actually be quite weak and still get the water circulating well as long as the returns are aimed correctly. If one of your returns is weaker than the other(s) it will still be weaker than the other(s) by about the same percentage.

An in-ground 3/4 HP pump will be able to pump up to an 8' roof without problems. That may not work on low speed, but at full speed it will handle that easily.

deckview said:
I am looking at the Hayward Max Flow II as it seems a good value. Can anyone tell me their opinion? 3/4 HP or 1 HP or 1.5 HP ??? Hayward or spend more for better?
As I mentioned in the "other" forum, the Max-Flo only comes in a 1 HP uprated two speed. If you want a 3/4 HP uprated two speed pump, then you could go with a Superflo but that is a 115v vs 230v pump. The Superflo is a more efficient pump than the Max-Flo so that is something to consider.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.