Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sta-rite Variable pump help

1. Back To Top    #1

Sta-rite Variable pump help

Hello all,
    I have recently changed our pump from a 1hp to a sta-rite variable speed and went ahead and changed some plumbing sizes. I just wanted to ask if the following setup poses any issues:
    Description of pool and setup:
    17 X 33 kidney shape
    3ft shallow end
    8ft deep end
    guessing at 27,000 gallons
    Pump and filter pad are 2 feet above water level
    Inlets: (1) 2" flex line from skimmer
    (1) 2" flex line from main drain
    those come into a 2" jandy 3-way manual valve and into the variable pump (all is 2")
    Outlet on pump is 2" going to a large sta-rite valve connected to a Sta-rite system 3 DE filter (S8D110)
    from the filter Valve a 2" line goes to the Sta-rite heater
    from the heater the line reduces down to 1.5" and goes through a check valve then to a zodiac salt cell
    from the cell 1.5" line goes to a 1.5" manifold that splits into two 1.5" return lines

The original 1hp setup had the following:
    from the 3-way jandy valve the pipe size going to the 1hp pump was 1.5"
    outlet on the pump was 1.5" going to the valve on side of filter

On my new setup will this effect the efficiency of the pump or cause any issues?

Many thanks for your advice.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Sta-rite Variable pump help

Your setup is fine. 2" pipe throughout would be more efficient, but it isn't a big enough difference to justify tearing out and replacing what you have unless you are working on any given section of plumbing anyway.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School