Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Overflowing an in ground pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Overflowing an in ground pool

We have had rains of biblical proportions since last Thursday afternoon. I estimate at least 12" and maybe more. I've had to pump the pool down five times and the pump is running to waste as I type. The pool overflowed last night. I pumped it down below the skimmer level before I went to bed about 10. Thunder woke me up about 3 AM and when I looked at the pool it was overflowing. I pumped it down again, then again at about 6:30.

When the pool overflows like that will water get between the liner and wall and damage the pool?
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Overflowing an in ground pool

No, the pool will be fine. If anything it is safer to have the pool totally full than to have it at it's normal level when there is a chance of high ground water. The only real risk is that the water running out of the pool will wash away some dirt you would rather hadn't been washed away.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Wow, that is a relief. I was really concerned about the walls caving in or something. The liner has sagged about 1/2" down from the top in a couple of places. Is that a problem?
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm not sure from your description, but it sounds like maybe the top edge of the liner is coming out of it's track. If so, that is a fairly common problem and can be fixed without too much trouble. You need a warm sunny day and some physical effort to pull the liner back into the track and then something to lock the liner in so it won't come out again (typically liner loc, also pennies often work).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Jasonlion. I really appreciate the response.