Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Posting question for a friend

1. Back To Top    #1

Posting question for a friend

A friend of mine recently switched his inground pool over to (Salt Water) at the end of last season. The pool is a 19,500 gallon Sand filter/Salt set up. He has not purchased the (FAS-DPD) test kit as of yet and has to rely on his pool store for the water analysis. I would help but, I live too far away to run the tests for him. After switching over to his salt set up, he's had nothing but problems keeping his numbers/water in the correct zone thanks to his local pool store and has recently noticed a slight green tint to the water. The pool store keeps selling him shock and phosphate products without any improvements.

FC=1
    PH=7.6
    TA=90
    CH=250
    CYA=10
    Salt=2900

From these pool store readings he gave me I informed him that he needed to add 130 0z. of (stablizer/conditioner) to bring his CYA level up to 60 and his shock level needs to be at 24 ppm assuming he has algae. I don't have a clue unless I'm there to check the water for him.

If anyone on here has similar issues with (Salt Water) set ups could you please help give him some hints on what to do.
    12,000 gallon 15'-30'AGP (Cartridge Filter) SPECK 1.5 hp (Pump) TAYLOR 2006 (Test Kit)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Posting question for a friend

Forget that it's a SWG system.

He needs to take CYA up to 30, then perform the shock process using bleach. Trying to use the SWG will just burn it out. Once he's done, the SWG can go back on. And then he can raise the CYA up to 60.

Without the test kit, the shock process is going to be difficult, wasteful, and time consuming.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Strongly recommend he get his own test kit. I hope he's at least using liquid bleach when he's shocking. Is he actually following the shocking procedure from pool school, or is he just throwing a packet of "shock" and that's it. Ask him to read pool school. pool-school/
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

If I were your friend I would:
    1. Buy a good test kit http://tftestkits.net/Test-Kits-c4/

2. For shocking purposes treat my pool as a chlorine pool and raise CYA to the 20-30 ppm range. Then shock using bleach per http://tftestkits.net/Test-Kits-c4/.

3. When the pool is clear and has passed the overnight FC lost test http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...rnight_fc_test finish the conversion to the salt water chlorine generator and raise CYA to the 60-80 ppm range.
    27K gal, IG vinyl, 1.5 HP pump, 24" sand filter, Goldline Aqua Plus SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks everyone! I'll be sure to let him read this post and thanks for the info on the CYA range.
    12,000 gallon 15'-30'AGP (Cartridge Filter) SPECK 1.5 hp (Pump) TAYLOR 2006 (Test Kit)