Need Help

Mar 10, 2011
I have some cloudy water and can't seem to clear it up. Here is what I have done:
Went to the pool store (I know go easy) tested water and it showed FC 1.73, TC 2.26, PH 8, CH 355, ALK 76.4, CYA 22 so I got some PH down, clarifier, poly power 60, and shocked it. Vacuumed to waste in 2 days and retested with my 2006 kit, CYA 55, PH 7.8, FC 8, CC 0, TA 90, CH 90 and it is still cloudy. Tested again this morning (still cloudy) FC 6.5, PH 7.6, TA 80, CH 100, CYA 75. This is my second year with the pool and I had no problems last year.

How much CYA did you add? That could be as "stabilizer" or "shock powder." Don't add any more, you're just making it harder to clear!

The answer is you need to perform the shock process. And expect it to take several days. Maybe a week or more. Pool School has some good articles explaining pool chemistry and "how to shock your pool" The link's up in the right corner. You might also scan the subject lines in the forums for threads about "cloudy" and "milky." It's a hot topic this time of year.

Conehead: Richard is 100% correct I'm going through the same process now if you want you can follow my thread as I am posting results and actions as I go through it I have thus forum open and read it constantly so if you have any questions or need help post them and I or one of the wonderful people here will answer these forums are very informative and helpful so don't be afraid to let us know what you have going on someone will always help

Most importantly when shocking its not a once and done process it will take awhile depending on the situation and you are done when

1.. Your water is clear
2.. Your CC'S are. 5 or below
3.. Your overnight FC Loss is 1.0 or less

NOT BEFORE.... MUST PASS ALL THREE OF THESE

Good luck You will get it just keep at it

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the responses, dumped some shock and bleach in the pool and will let in run and check in the morning. I was at 12ppm this evening and brushed it and there appeared to be greenish dust in the bottom which I am assuming is algae. Should I go to Superchrlorinate for 24 hours and is it necessary for the pump to run around the clock? I will let the CYA drop a bit before I add any stabilizer, around 55 or so on CYA I would assume should be about right and my CH and TA are ok I believe? If somebody out there has a SWG and uses the BBB method and could give me some numbers to shoot for I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Follow how to shock yor pool in pool school to the letter until you meet all three criteria I posted above keep at shock level for your CYA Level link to chart is in how to shock your pool. Follow that very informative section meet the 3 criteria and you will be fine

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk 2

I have kept it at or near the shock level and it appears to be clearing up. I will keep putting the bleach in and brushing. Can someone give me a clue what the bleach does to the CH, TA, CYA and then does baking soda affect anything except TA? And Finally what does Borax do to FC,TA,CH, PH? I think if one can understand these questions it could keep you from chasing your tail! Thanks in advance!

Go to poolcalculator.com and you can find out what the different chems due to your levels at the bottom. Be sure to set the pool size at the top.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.