FIRST TIME INTEX EASY SET 18 X 48 OWNER

mtucker

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 1, 2012
Hudson Ohio
First off...I love this forum.Actually, it can become quite addictive. We setup the pool yesterday and got it filled by the Pool water company.We went with the saltwater system. Added the salt last night ..waiting for the 24 hours for salt to disolve..then will start the saltwater system.

Pool boy(Hubs) wants to know if the scimmer should be left in the pool all the time.(maintence manual makes no mention). Any other do's and don'ts for the saltwater startup and maintenance would be appreciated..Just waiting for the water to warm up. :-D

It wont hurt to leave the skimmer in all the time I do. it catches anything that may be floating in the pool. Also make sure you stir the salt up so brush your pool sides and bottom to make sure it is all stirred up. I would also add some bleach to get your FC level up to start with. Post a complete set of test results and we can give you more recommendations from there. You are going to need to add stabilizer but we need to see your pool results as well. Congrats on the new pool!

order the TF-100 test kit Saturday. Kind of running blind with the test strips that came with the Intex pool.Hubs and I have been reading Pool School..Chemistry 201..and all relative items..

This is where we are at. Have the salwater filtration pump(see signature).

After one day pool had .5 chlorine....76 ph..and 0 alkalinity on test strip. We then added baking soda..Alkatinity measured 120..PH off the chart..strip is red..FC was .05

Until the test kits gets here..are we Okay?

Thanks so much for your quick response!! We just brushed the pool..on a Staycation this week(really want to take a dip).Just retested with"The Strip"..PH is still reading off the charts(very high).We just want to be safe with this reading swimming in the pool.

I am new myself, and I know how a quick response can help. I know it's bad to swim with low pH (burning eyes) but I am unsure about high pH, and off the charts worries me some too.

What is your Chlorine reading?

You will need to add some chlorine each evening, I have a little bigger pool than you do, and I add about 2 cups of 12.5% chlorine each evening, my CYA is about 40 and my target is about 5-6ppm. You will need to just worry about CL and pH until our test kit arrives.

Please make time to read up on pool school.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Chlorine result is perfect with "The test strip"..It is just the PH reading that is High...We added Baking soda (from Walmart on Saturday)...Come on TF-100..I will be able to share more accurate readings..Going for a dip..I will let ya all know

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.