Basic Pool Maintenance Questions

Chaika

Jun 9, 2012
I just ordered the TF100 kit, but I have some other more basic questions. A pool service has been taking care of the pool for about the last year while I was working in a distant location and I have finally moved into the home. The pool is an in-ground installation, with a plaster bottom. It's located in Phoenix, Arizona (really hot now). It has a sand filter. I'm not sure about the pump. I will check tomorrow after the sun comes up and see what info is on the pump. I don't know how many gallons the pool holds. It's a smaller sized pool I think. For chlorine addition, a plastic floater is being used in the pool with tablets in it.

A couple of times, I watched the pool guy. He has a skimmer, a brush, and a pool vacuum. He connects the vacuum to the pool pump and pushes the vacuum along the bottom of the pool. I would like to know the best place to get a vacuum like that, and also a skimmer and brush.

Anybody have some good suggestions? I did seem some equipment for sale at Amazon.com, but it's a little confusing. The vacuum seems to be just the head attachment and does not include the other equipment.

Welcome to TFP!

The vacuum consists of the vacuum head, an extension pole, a vacuum hose, and optionally a special plate that goes over the skimmer basket where you plug the vacuum in. Each of those is sold separately. It is common to share an extension pole with the vacuum head, the brush, and the leaf net.

This is one of those cases where you might have an easier time figuring out each part if you go to a pool store and see the various parts in person.

@Issac, thanks for the suggestion. There is a Lowes next to the Walmart, so I can check there. It's also easier to get someone to answer questions at Lowes.

@Butterfly, thanks for the welcome and the link. It was helpful. My pool has an ugly Intermatic Mechanical Timer and the type of poolskim that is not in ground.

Thought I would update everyone on what I bought for a pool vacuum. I got the Swimline 8150 Weighted Flex Vacuum Head from amazon.com for $21.49. For hose, I went with the Poolmaster 32227 Economy Vacuum Hose with Swivel Cuff, 27-Feet by 1-1/4-Inch for $23.60 from amazon. It's a little short though. Wish it had another 8 feet or so of length. For the pole, I went with the Hydro Tools 8350A Value Pool Pole, 3 Piece for $16.70.

Everything seems to work pretty good, with the exception of the hose being a little short. I vacuumed the pool and the pool guy arrived after and thought it looked good enough that he didn't need to vacuum (I didn't tell him that I had just previously vacuumed).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.