Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Basic Pool Maintenance Questions

Basic Pool Maintenance Questions

I just ordered the TF100 kit, but I have some other more basic questions. A pool service has been taking care of the pool for about the last year while I was working in a distant location and I have finally moved into the home. The pool is an in-ground installation, with a plaster bottom. It's located in Phoenix, Arizona (really hot now). It has a sand filter. I'm not sure about the pump. I will check tomorrow after the sun comes up and see what info is on the pump. I don't know how many gallons the pool holds. It's a smaller sized pool I think. For chlorine addition, a plastic floater is being used in the pool with tablets in it.

A couple of times, I watched the pool guy. He has a skimmer, a brush, and a pool vacuum. He connects the vacuum to the pool pump and pushes the vacuum along the bottom of the pool. I would like to know the best place to get a vacuum like that, and also a skimmer and brush.

Anybody have some good suggestions? I did seem some equipment for sale at Amazon.com, but it's a little confusing. The vacuum seems to be just the head attachment and does not include the other equipment.
    Sand filter, in ground pool, plaster bottom, Hayward Max-Flo II pump

Re: Basic Pool Maintenance Questions

Welcome to TFP!

The vacuum consists of the vacuum head, an extension pole, a vacuum hose, and optionally a special plate that goes over the skimmer basket where you plug the vacuum in. Each of those is sold separately. It is common to share an extension pole with the vacuum head, the brush, and the leaf net.

This is one of those cases where you might have an easier time figuring out each part if you go to a pool store and see the various parts in person.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Thanks for the explanation. There is a Walmart down the road. I guess I'll head in there and see what pool equipment it has for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaika
    Thanks for the explanation. There is a Walmart down the road. I guess I'll head in there and see what pool equipment it has for sale.
    The Wallyworld may not carry the wheeled vac heads for plaster pools.

Welcome to the forum
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

BTW, you can see pics of pool equipment/tools here: pool-school/visual_encyclopedia
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

You might also try the big box hardware stores, they often have a little better choice in equipment than Wal-Mart
    Indoor 20x40 36,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis panel roof top solar heat with Aquasolar controller, Dolphin Diagnostic Pro Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and soon to be connected UV Ozonator and now Hot Spring Jetsetter standalone spa
    I use and endorse the TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net

@Issac, thanks for the suggestion. There is a Lowes next to the Walmart, so I can check there. It's also easier to get someone to answer questions at Lowes.

@Butterfly, thanks for the welcome and the link. It was helpful. My pool has an ugly Intermatic Mechanical Timer and the type of poolskim that is not in ground.

Thought I would update everyone on what I bought for a pool vacuum. I got the Swimline 8150 Weighted Flex Vacuum Head from amazon.com for $21.49. For hose, I went with the Poolmaster 32227 Economy Vacuum Hose with Swivel Cuff, 27-Feet by 1-1/4-Inch for $23.60 from amazon. It's a little short though. Wish it had another 8 feet or so of length. For the pole, I went with the Hydro Tools 8350A Value Pool Pole, 3 Piece for $16.70.

Everything seems to work pretty good, with the exception of the hose being a little short. I vacuumed the pool and the pool guy arrived after and thought it looked good enough that he didn't need to vacuum (I didn't tell him that I had just previously vacuumed).