First bid from PB.

JohnH

May 28, 2012
Flower Mound, TX
Our first bid didn't go as planned, PB was very wide on there $$$, from 31,900 to 37,000. Didn't say much on what size he can give us. We have to work with the city to get a variance on our 15 ft. easement areas. If I can get 8 ft. out of the 15 ft. from the city, I'm looking at a 16 x 32, if not looking at a 11 x 24. But one thing that he was trying to convince me to get was a chlorine pool not the salt water that I wanted. He said the salt would eat away the flag stone, and being to close of the house, the windows would show some corrosion. Is that true? Is there limitations on the type of decking for SWG pools? Is there limitations on how close the house is to a SWG Pools? Second PB bid is coming to the house Tuesday. I'm looking forward to show him our backyard. First PB never seen our yard, we went to his office. I will keep all informed about our yard oasis. Thanks
John

Welcome to TFP!

There have been some isolated reports of salt water pools not playing nicely with certain types of natural stone. Not often though. Keep in mind that the salinity of a salt pool (around 3000 ppm) is nowhere near the salinity of seawater (35000 ppm). There are lots of homes on the coast that don't turn to dust from exposure to that amount of salt in the air and so it is unlikely that yours would do so from your pool.

I say, get some more bids and some more opinions. If you want a SWCG, I say get one.

P.S. All salt pools ARE chlorine pools. The only difference is that with a salt pool, you are making your chlorine yourself instead of adding it manually.

My pool was designed as a salt pool. Concrete cantilevered deck with acrylic textured finish. No natural stone anywhere. If you are going with a SWG I would avoid using and soft porous natural stone. Other than that limitation, I think salt water pools are the way to go. Corrosion has not been a problem.

257WbyMag said:
Welcome to TFP!

There have been some isolated reports of salt water pools not playing nicely with certain types of natural stone. Not often though. Keep in mind that the salinity of a salt pool (around 3000 ppm) is nowhere near the salinity of seawater (35000 ppm). There are lots of homes on the coast that don't turn to dust from exposure to that amount of salt in the air and so it is unlikely that yours would do so from your pool.

I say, get some more bids and some more opinions. If you want a SWCG, I say get one.

P.S. All salt pools ARE chlorine pools. The only difference is that with a salt pool, you are making your chlorine yourself instead of adding it manually.

In austin at least most builders wont install salt water with natural stone. The theory is that the water splashes and dries out. Salt slowly accumulates to high enough concentrations. In areas where it rains this isnt an issue because the salt gets washed off. But in places like austin where it might not rain all summer it can be a serious issue. My neighbors had to replace all their oklahoma flag due to getting eaten by salt.

Yep, a friend of mine had to have his stone coping replaced. The salt ate it up badly and this was after it was supposedly "sealed". Is it just the "in style" or is it because it so so cheap that the builders insist on stone coping?

I want a poured concrete coping and can't find anyone who still does it.

Please get at least 5 bids ... make the builder take you to his previously built pools and speak to their owners. If he balks at that, its a HUGE red flag.

Enjoy your journey!

Here in Tucson it seems like the most common pool edge is the cantilevered edge, with no separate coping. The pool deck is just extended an inch or so beyond the top edge of the pool. It seems to be trouble free and I kind of like the clean look it gives.
32fd9313.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Karl said:
make the builder take you to his previously built pools and speak to their owners. If he balks at that, its a HUGE red flag.

I have to wonder... how much actual value is there in checking references supplied by the builder? I mean it seems logical that a hypothetically bad builder would simply take you to pools he installed for friends/family (who would give him nothing but glowing praise), and/or a few other builds that actually went well (surely even a horrible builder gets a few right, eh?).

Granted, I'm sure it's better to go through this step than not, if for nothing else than to just feel like you've done due diligence (heck, I wish I had), but if I could start all over again, what I would have done is simply knock on the door of people who I noticed have recently had a pool put in, ask who built it, and if the homeowner's comments were favorable, add that builder to the list of those to consider.

Then again, if a builder resists taking you to ANY previous builds, as you say that probably is indeed a big red flag (maybe he's got NO satisfied customers!).

--Michael

I wouldn't want strangers coming to my house to look at my pool for that type of purpose unless of course I was getting some sort of commission for the sale....

I did allow and will allow the builder to take professional pictures of my pool when I'm done landscaping so he can showcase his work, and I will talk to anyone that calls but random drive buys for years into the future no thanks.

harleysilo said:
I wouldn't want strangers coming to my house to look at my pool for that type of purpose unless of course I was getting some sort of commission for the sale....

That's a reasonable position... I don't think I'd be too thrilled about that either. If a homeowner does allow the builder to bring potential clients to view their pool, it would seem to indicate that they've been compensated somehow, are a friend or family member of the builder, or perhaps they just LOVE the job the builder did so much that they don't mind helping him out.

In any case, I would take a visit to a built pool with a HUGE grain of salt... at best, I'd view it as an example of the level of quality a builder is capable of providing, not necessarily what they typically provide.

--Michael

bigdav160 said:
Yep, a friend of mine had to have his stone coping replaced. The salt ate it up badly and this was after it was supposedly "sealed". Is it just the "in style" or is it because it so so cheap that the builders insist on stone coping?

I want a poured concrete coping and can't find anyone who still does it.

stone is much more expensive than concrete, but looks really nice for lagoon style pools

Second PB was more promising. At least he showed up and looked around. He agree's that I need to get a various for my 15 ft. easement. I need to ask for a 7.5 ft. easement. His quote was $45K for a 16 x 38 saltwater, spill over spa, 7ft deep near the spa, acouple of water features, Pebble tec, brush finish concrete (no stone, because of saltwater). Need to work on easement various before anymore PB quotes.
John

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.