Can't get a CYA number with TF-100 - what am I doing wrong

allsbp

Jun 8, 2012
New to this method -- and so far the CYA test -- really get no number as I can always see the dot in the tube when full of water to the top. Must be doing something wrong. Pool has cleared up a lot, but still is a bit murky in the deep end. Fearful might have some mustard algae ---
My numbers tonight - 80 degrees
PH - 7.5 (I think -- hard for me to differentiate the pink colors!)
TA - 190
CH - 180
TC - 3.5
Don't know how to test for Borates

It seems that the CYA or stabilizer is just not registering!

Jefferson City, MO
15,000 gal
Sand Filter
IG
Vinyl Liner -- not sure what is behind that - old pool

Re: Can't get a CYA number with TF-100 - what am I doing wro

Well -- not really. Added about 3lbs of Bioguard Stabilizer 100 a week ago -- left over from last year -- which was never added last year cause the pool co. said it was registering okay and didn't need any.

Aha! We have a clue.
file.php
allsbp said:
Well -- not really. Added about 3lbs of Bioguard Stabilizer 100 a week ago -- left over from last year -- which was never added last year cause the pool co. said it was registering okay and didn't need any.
3 lbs of CYA in a 15000 gallon pool will raise the level to 24. But the tester won't even measure below 20! It's quite a subjective test, so even if it were all dissolved, there's a chance you wouldn't be able to tell. Also, your pool may be bigger than you think, which would also make it lower than the test can detect. And if you did any backwashing, you might have lost some there.

If you're going through the shock process, you want to add some more to get it up to about 30. When the process is complete, you'll want to raise it some more.

Okay -- thanks -- I have only bought stabilizer (bioguard) at the pool store --- do you know if I can get it at Lowes or some place similar? Guess I am trying to avoid the people at the pool store!

You can usually get it at Wal Mart. Read the ingredients on the label. You are looking for cyanuric acid.

allsbp said:
Okay -- thanks -- I have only bought stabilizer (bioguard) at the pool store --- do you know if I can get it at Lowes or some place similar? Guess I am trying to avoid the people at the pool store!
Lowes has it. I've seen it out with the pool stuff in the garden area. This time of year, lots of places put up displays of pool chemicals.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.