Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bugs

1. Back To Top    #1

Bugs

I have some small bugs swimming around. They are about 3/8" long 1/16" wide with thin wing like things they use to move around. I've seen three so far and they swim at a depth of about 1 foot. How can I kill them.

[attachment=0:2q064z6j]Southwest-20120608-00167.jpg[/attachment:2q064z6j]
    15,200 gallon 24' X 52" round AG; installed 2011; SWG
    1 hp Dynamo pump; Pentair Meteor sand filter, 2.1 sq. ft. filtration area, 42 GPM flow rate
    TF 100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bugs

Can't tell from the picture, but odds are, those are backswimmers. I get 'em when my water isn't exactly balanced. Once my water is perfect, they go away. Some people say that adding borates make them go away. I've seen lots of different things people do. If you sacrifice a chicken during a blue moon they'll go away too, I think. Just do a search on backswimmers, you'll get a lot of talk about em!

_edit_

Found a pic. Is this it? They're also called boatmen but real boatmen swim right side up.

-more editing-

They also bite, and it hurts!

Rob B
    My $100 pool finally died after 6 years.
    Totally got our monies worth!
    Butterfly made me do it...

3. Back To Top    #3

Proper chlorination should keep them at bay. You can also add borates to your pool. Borates are toxic to many insects.

4. Back To Top    #4

Kias, That's the bug.
    15,200 gallon 24' X 52" round AG; installed 2011; SWG
    1 hp Dynamo pump; Pentair Meteor sand filter, 2.1 sq. ft. filtration area, 42 GPM flow rate
    TF 100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Yup, you have backswimmers. When I see them in my pool, I do the full suite of tests on the water. I usually find something that's slightly off. Once I get that back in check, they always go away. This is my experience with them, other people not so much. However it may be the slow moving stream I have that might be attracting them more then my awesome pool water.

I know I'm not much help here, seems everyone has their own way to deal with these, and this is my way.

Good luck!

Oh, if you think they're too weird swimming upside down, just put a light at the bottom of your pool, and cover the top of the pool. They'll swim right side up. It's the light that makes them swim upside down...

Rob B
    My $100 pool finally died after 6 years.
    Totally got our monies worth!
    Butterfly made me do it...