Intellichlor IC40 -Cleaned Cell & Green Light Still Flashing

Jun 8, 2012
Hi there,
We have Pentair Intellichlor IC40 that's been working great for a few years and has been cleaned regularly. But, it has stopped producing chlorine and the green light has started flashing.

I checked the life on the cell (held down the 'more' button) and it registered 60%, which the manual says is 6,000 hours (out of the 10,000 hour intended lifespan).

I checked the salt at the pool store and it's at 3,800 ppm - so salt isn't the issue.

Is there a reset button somewhere, or should I just accept that we didn't get the cell to last as long as it should and drop $500 on a replacement?

Thank you very much!!
Erica

Re: Intellichlor IC40 -Cleaned Cell & Green Light Still Flas

The cell light flashing green means something is preventing the cell from working correctly. A number of things can cause that, cold water, calcium scaling, oils accumulating on the cell plates, or a defective cell. Assuming you water isn't in the 50s, or colder, the first step is to remove the cell and do a visual inspection of the cell plates. If you see any white crusty debris on the plates the cell should be acid washed. If there is no sign of white crusty debris, you can try a quick detergent rinse. Both the acid soak and the detergent are much easier if you can a cell end cap so you can fill the cell with liquid without submerging it (which might well damage the electronics).

Re: Intellichlor IC40 -Cleaned Cell & Green Light Still Flas

Alright....so I ended up re-cleaning it (which didn't appear to do anything - no fizzing) and also, upon the advice of the guy at one pool store, turned off the circuit breaker to the pool (via the intellitouch control pad). He recommended turning it off for 45 minutes and then letting it "reboot." So far, so good. The green cell light is on most of the time now, but is turning off completely for a few seconds here and there...is that normal? I have it set to 100% right now.

Reactions: Bdees01
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.