dirty water out jet

spf30

Apr 28, 2009
Hanna City, IL
Thought my only problem was out of whack chemicals, but just now found we have dirty water shooting out jet back in to pool. A little background: our faulty spider valve allowed h2o to bypass to the waste line while in filter mode...so water was leaking out of pool into the yard basically. So, we installed a valve in the waste line to prevent water loss...so during normal filtering, the valve is closed, during backwash and rinse, the valve should be open. Here's the problem: I forgot to open the valve during backwash and it all went back into the pool. We have since changed out sand (needed it anyway), but, even when valve is properly closed, it seems we are getting murky water shooting back into pool when set to filter. I thought it was just cloudy because chems are so out of whack. We have a new spider valve enroute, but could I have damaged something in the filter, etc due to the pressure of backwashing back into the system, etc? Anything we can check?? Thanks!

Adding a valve to the backwash line is never a very good idea, for more or less this exact reason. The only solution is to replace the spider gasket. It is very unlikely anything else is damaged, but while you are replacing the spider gasket you will have the valve open and can take a look inside to see if there are any other issues.

Thanks Jason. Hopefully the spider valve will arrive tomorrow. But another question: what made us first discover a leak in the valve, it was due to pool level creeping down ever so slowly. If I didn't damage anything else, and it is just a matter of the spider valve, what is the reason for the murky water coming out of the jet? I know the pool water is murky going into the skimmer, but shouldn't it get 'filtered' before heading back into the pool??? Does the spider valve have anything to do with this? And if yes, why wouldn't we have noticed murky water in the jet when we first discovered the leak? I'm ok with the chemical end of things, but the physical side of the pool operation is not my strong point!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.