Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Suggestion how to clean DE Separator bag?

1. Back To Top    #1

Glendora, California

Suggestion how to clean DE Separator bag?

Seems the bag on my separator has become so clogged I can't even feel water coming back to the pool when using it. The instructions only state to rise it after use, which I do. Any suggestion on what to spray or soak it with/in to hopefully clean it up? I believe the bag is made of nylon.

Thanks in adavnace!
    18k Inground Plaster pool / TriStar Variable Speed Pump and Controller
    48sq ft Hayward DE filter/ Swim pure Plus 40k cell / Kreepy Krauly
    Solaxx Ph-Tek

2. Back To Top    #2
    Southern NH

Re: Suggestion how to clean DE Separator bag?

I have a Hayward DE filter that cleans up somewhat easily but sometimes I need to take it apart to clean it. Can you take yours apart or maybe run water through it in the opposite direction? Sorry I can't help much and it seems not many have this type of system seeing you've got no answers yet. Good luck.
    2007 1st full year with AG pool~15k gallons 18'x33' JW
    6/2010 added 2 button Intex SWG-painless except for when reset
    Switched to BBB from Baquacil (couldn't pay me to go back)

3. Back To Top    #3

Here are cartridge-cleaning instructions. I think that they will apply to your situation. You could contact the manufacturer to be sure. ... _users.asp

4. Back To Top    #4

I also have a separation tank. I used the instructions for cleaning a DE filter and it seemed to help. First I soaked the bag in a TSP solution, then gave it a soak in a 10/1 water/acid solution to remove any builtup scale. If yours is like mine, it has a wire stiffening ring around the top. To avoid corrosion I made sure that it wasn't in the acid.
    Tucson, AZ
    19k gallon Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS (3 hp) 011018, Super II 2hp (for spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE filter, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit