Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer basket dislodges when pump turned back on

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer basket dislodges when pump turned back on

Anyone have any ideas about this? Whenever I turn the pump off and back on, I think the pressure change when it turns off makes the basket pump out of place in the skimmer.

I have been considering getting a timer to turn the pool filter on and off at regular intervals but it kinda negates that if I have to put the basket back in place each time.
    20,000L (5,200 gal) round AG pool, Hayward sand filter, 1.5hp pump, in the Laurentians, Quebec Canada
    Pool gets medium amount of sun, due to the house and surrounding trees.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmer basket dislodges when pump turned back on

Find something like a rock or something similar size but a little weight is what's important here then shut pump off and on till you don't see basket move.

18ft 52in deep doughboy 8000 gallons
    22 in sand filter
    1 1/2 pump
    tk-2006 test kit that rocks!
    12.5% chlorine
    aqua critter vac

3. Back To Top    #3

Also, open the air bleed valve on the filter and let out any air that might have accumulated in the filter.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Also, open the air bleed valve on the filter and let out any air that might have accumulated in the filter.
    Is that the unscrewable cap thats on the side near the bottom of the filter?
    20,000L (5,200 gal) round AG pool, Hayward sand filter, 1.5hp pump, in the Laurentians, Quebec Canada

5. Back To Top    #5

No. The bleed valve, if you have one, is always right at the top of the filter. They are quite common, but not all filters have them.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

This is my filter, can't seem to find one on it.

7. Back To Top    #7

That filter doesn't have an air bleed valve. Just ignore my comment.

8. Back To Top    #8

Does your skimmer basket have two flats opposite each other? By that I mean if you look down at the basket, the top rim is circular except for two flat areas. Something like this but with another straight line at the top.(_) On mine those flats fit between two tabs in the skimmer. Once seated a slight turn of the basket will lock it in when the circular portion of the basket rim slides under those tabs in the skimmer.
    Bill
    18'X4' 7600 Gal AG
    3/4 HP Pentair Pump
    Hayward S166T 100 lb sand filter

9. Back To Top    #9

No, mine, if looking from the top, is round with a flat spot that aligns with the skimmer, so it only seats property in one orientation, but this strangely only would prevent it from spinning in a circle, and does nothing to keep it from bobbing up and down. Ah well, I'll try with a small rock

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by skurys
    No, mine, if looking from the top, is round with a flat spot that aligns with the skimmer, so it only seats property in one orientation, but this strangely only would prevent it from spinning in a circle, and does nothing to keep it from bobbing up and down. Ah well, I'll try with a small rock
    A BIG rock - bigger than your skimmer pipe, so there's absolutely no way it can ever accidently get caught in the plumbing
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

I have always used a rock ... bigger than the pipe.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

Will do, yea I guess that could be bad if the basket broke and the rock was smaller.