Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lowering Ph

1. Back To Top    #1

Lowering Ph

Hey, this may be an easy one but I don't want to throw my other numbers out of whack....my pH since opening this spring has hovered around 7.8 and is now creeping up to the 8 range. should I try to lower it and if so how? My other numbers are all great, passed overnight free chlorine loss test, etc...any suggestions?
    27' x 52" round above-ground pool, 18" sand filter, 1.5HP pump, Intex Krystal Clear SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Lowering Ph

Just add MA. Post up your test results and it may tell us why your ph is drifting up...
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

3. Back To Top    #3

You will need to know your TA in order to figure out how much MA to add.
    ~~ Allison ~~
    Intex 18' x 48" Easy Set Pool, approximately 5455 gallons
    Krystal Clear 1500 GPH Filter Pump Model 56635EG - 635 with Auto Timer
    BBB FOR BEGINNERS ~ THIS IS A MUST READ FOR ANYONE OVERWHELMED!!

4. Back To Top    #4

here are the rest of the numbers: TA: 110; CYA: 80; FC: 3.5; CC: 0. TA had been around 60-70 earlier in May, had heavy use on Memorial Weekend but almost noone has been in it since.
    27' x 52" round above-ground pool, 18" sand filter, 1.5HP pump, Intex Krystal Clear SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

You should lower your TA and it should help to stabilize your PH. Lower PH to 7.2 then aereate to bring ph back up and keep repeating this process to lower TA.
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

6. Back To Top    #6

Plug your test numbers and the pool size into Pool Calculator, and it will tell you how much muriatic acid to add. Pour it slowly into the stream of water in front of a return jet while the pump is running. It also helps mix it up if you brush after adding it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!