Newbies - AGP on hilly back yard

Jul 1, 2011
NC
Hi everyone,
We are new to the pool scene and are looking at getting an above ground pool which we want to have installed on what we fondly refer to as our "hill". We have about 3/4 acre and the back portion of the yard slopes up. I was thinking instead of using the space in our sodded area of our yard, we could put the pool on our hill which is really unused space and build a deck around it. I don't have the exact measurements of how much it slopes, but I would think we would need to dig in about 2-3 feet. We are in NC with lovely clay type soil. I'm thinking it is best to build a retaining wall so the earth would not be directly against the pool wall.

Does anyone have experience doing anything like this? Thanks in advance for help and advice.

link to picture of my sloping yard (ignore the kids - pic is from easter)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/593/photowz.png/

Welcome to the forum.

AGP have been buried and others have had the retaining wall method. Lots of variables to consider, just search with the google tool at the bottom of the page and you should find a lot of info. I'm working to bury a 27' about 3' on the high side and about 1' on the low side. I have a mix of clay, soil and rock, the rock is a mix of limestone and flint up to 6", very slow going even with heavy equipment. The pool I'm working with is several years old and was previously buried 18" on one side, it has resin tracks and plates with a metal wall. The wall only had one spot of rust on the inside about 3' up so the soil against the side hadn't caused any damage to the pool. Shadebuilder.com is a pool installer that has experience and advice with buried pools and there are people here as well. Good Luck.

Is this on city sewer or do you have septic. My last house had septic lines in the backyard,which it too sloped uphill, sewage went into the tank, then to a lift station that pumped it to the top of the hill. We barely got our ag in the backyard.

That site is no problem for an AGP, there's pics of far worse grades than that, just need to account for water potentially pooling in the dug out section between pool wall and hillside. Levelling the site is priority #1, the last thing you want is a finished pool that leans.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

From the picture your slope looks worse than ours, but ours goes downhill.

Before we started, (raising not digging out), we knew ours had a "small" slope to it, but after we got started building it up with clay and rock, WOW, did we get a surprise, the lowest corner had to come up 4' or so.

We are replacing a 16' Quickset, (had the air ring around the top), and when we put that one up we did dig down to level for it, but the corner where we dug it out always held water, (yea I know we should have allowed for drainage), anyway, we are working toward putting up a 22' x 52" Intex, and wanted it to come up level with the deck when we get it built, so now we are raising instead of digging down more.

My point is, first slopes can be much more than what is appears, and second, we have plenty of heavy equipment on hand and even with all of that this has been one big project, we are going on 2 months now.

Here is a link to our project: http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-to-site-and-new-pool-project-starting-this-year-t45291.html, the first couple of pics shows where the old pool was, and from there it shows how much we have had to raise the ground.

You might consider hiring someone to at least dig it out for you.

Good luck, and BTW, everyone here just "Loves" pictures.... :whoot:

x2rider said:
Is this on city sewer or do you have septic. My last house had septic lines in the backyard,which it too sloped uphill, sewage went into the tank, then to a lift station that pumped it to the top of the hill. We barely got our ag in the backyard.

We have city sewer which I guess is a good thing in this case. :)

Thank you everyone for your posts, I am very excited at getting a pool. I will love it and most importantly the kids will love it. I took a couple pics of the yard, when you actually go up the initial incline it isn't so bad, so I took a pic of where I think the pool should go. Basically smack dab in the middle. Right now you can see we haven't sodded or anything yet, because up until this winter we didn't use the space. This winter though we had our extremely un-level property graded so that what was not usable yard would be usable space. We cleared a lot of wooded area which is great, but that exposed us to dogs who live behind us and love to bark every time we go in our back yard. :(

We thought about putting the pool where the trampoline is, but I am still leaning to the sloped area since we really have nothing there and it is a good space. The brown under the trampoline is because I from a now defunct square foot garden I had last summer. I think we could make the pool with a deck and plantings look really nice. I can't wait to share our progress with all of you. This is a very friendly forum!

What do you all think?

[attachment=1:24ndimhf]backyardforpool2.JPG[/attachment:24ndimhf]
[attachment=2:24ndimhf]backyardforpool.JPG[/attachment:24ndimhf]
[attachment=0:24ndimhf]yardwithkiddo.JPG[/attachment:24ndimhf]

Attachments

• backyardforpool.JPG
    backyardforpool.JPG
    194.9 KB · Views: 246
  • backyardforpool2.JPG
    backyardforpool2.JPG
    183.6 KB · Views: 245
  • yardwithkiddo.JPG
    yardwithkiddo.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 244

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks! She is a handful, she has a twin brother...so double trouble.

We are thinking sharkline matrix, probably 27 feet... I wonder if that is big enough? Initially I wanted oval, but it seems like a real pain to install oval pools and they are more expensive. It's really hard to determine what pool because there are so many different brands. We went to look at them and they all pretty much seemed the same to me. Maybe I just don't have an eye for it.

We are going to buy the pool and equipment and then contact an installer. We've been quoted about 1000 for install, but that is without them seeing our property.

How about you?

We are going to go with the Intex 22' x 52", we were going to order it in 2 weeks, but the fridge died last week so we had to spend our pool money for a new one.

It may be after swimming season now, but that may be a good thing, lol, maybe a better price?

We are installing ours on our own, we work cheaper than other people do, giggles.

We are used to the work though, we started out with 40 acres and now down to 21, and own a logging company, so work is work.

I have a Matrix, great pool.

Personally I'd go closer to the house, getting to/from the pool will be better the closer it is to the house. Also, you'r gonna have to run a dedicated electric line to the pool pump, I don't know the prices in your area but I'd be surprised if $1000 includes running a line so far from the house, just something to think about.
You may want to consider decking options for the future and incorporate that into the plans, even if you build later.

We considered putting it where the trampoline is. I can't say we are 100% either way yet. The electrical should be okay, my dad is an electrician, so he'll hook us up in that aspect.

I am currently looking at the pool at poolsupplyworld and I'm confused on all the options. I know to get the pool, liner, and we need a filter and pump, but what else? It is a little overwhelming. I partly want to throw up my hands and just go to the local pool shop and have them just give me everything I need.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.