Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Culprit in burning eyes issues?

1. Back To Top    #1

Culprit in burning eyes issues?

My son is 5 and doesn't like to swim in goggles. After spending quite a bit of time in the pool he says his eyes burn and they look red. All of my numbers seem to be good so I'm not sure what the issue is. My latest test, right before they swam last was:

PH - 7.3
    FC - 5.5
    CC - 0
    CYA - 65
    TA - didn't test that time, never had any issues, usually right at 90
    CH - agents are bad and haven't tested, but again, no issues in the past
    Salt - 3000

Which, of the chemicals that are in the pool, are most likely to cause issues with the eyes? Is this just normal with long sessions of being in the pool with no goggles and going underwater with your eyes open?
    15x32 vinyl liner, 14,400 gal, 1.4hp Centurion pump, 3/4 hp booster pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, Hayward H200 heater (digital readout)
    Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator, Hayward Phantom cleaner, TF 100 test kit
    Pool School, Pool Calculator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Culprit in burning eyes issues?

I believe a pH under 7.2 can cause your eyes to burn. Since the pH test is a bit subjective, an easy test might be to bump your pH up to 7.5 to see if it helps.
    ~~ Allison ~~
    Intex 18' x 48" Easy Set Pool, approximately 5455 gallons
    Krystal Clear 1500 GPH Filter Pump Model 56635EG - 635 with Auto Timer
    BBB FOR BEGINNERS ~ THIS IS A MUST READ FOR ANYONE OVERWHELMED!!

3. Back To Top    #3

The pH had been at 7.8 and I added enough Muratic Acid (the night before) to bump it down. I'll check again and see where it is. It tends to climb with the SWG, so I don't think it has fallen below 7.2.
    15x32 vinyl liner, 14,400 gal, 1.4hp Centurion pump, 3/4 hp booster pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, Hayward H200 heater (digital readout)
    Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator, Hayward Phantom cleaner, TF 100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, that basically covers the issues I know of. (Low pH which you addressed, high CC to which you reported zero, and no salt to which you reported 3000)

Is this a new thing? Has anything changed? Is his nose burning too or just his eyes? I suppose it could just be a fluke experience and only cause was that he just overdid it. Hopefully someone with more experience in this area will follow-up.
    ~~ Allison ~~
    Intex 18' x 48" Easy Set Pool, approximately 5455 gallons
    Krystal Clear 1500 GPH Filter Pump Model 56635EG - 635 with Auto Timer
    BBB FOR BEGINNERS ~ THIS IS A MUST READ FOR ANYONE OVERWHELMED!!

5. Back To Top    #5

Low PH (below 7.2) and CC (above 0.5) are the two most common causes for burning eyes.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok. I was under the impression that 7.2 - 7.8 was ok. I intentionally dosed for 7.3 so as to not overshoot 7.2 I'll balance for 7.5 or a little above in the future and see if that makes a difference.

7. Back To Top    #7

Sorry, typo. below 7.2! Anything from 7.2 on up above 8 is fine as far as your eyes go.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School