What do you set your SWG at?

Bart

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 24, 2010
Northern Virginia
I'm trying to figure out where to set my SWG to keep the pool clean but to run it as little as possible and I'm looking for a santiy check on the setting. I know there are a million variables the effect the setting (pool size, temperature, amount of bathers, etc), but I'd still like to know what the conventional wisdom is.

When they set up my pool, I'm pretty sure the guys said to set it at about 35% and then bump it up or down from there depending on the chlorine level.

It seems that if I put it down at 35% I get a very low chlorine level (1.0) and slightly cloudy water. And this is early in the season, with cool temps and people only being in the pool a couple hours on the weekend.

Anyhow, I'm just trying get a feel for what is "normal" so what do you set your SWG at?

Thanks!

There is no such thing as "normal". Every pool is totally different.

If your FC level is too low, turn up the percentage. If your FC level is too high, turn down the percentage. That is the only answer.

Of course, other levels can affect how much chlorine you need. Take a look at the balancing your pool for use with a SWG article in Pool School or post your current levels for more information.

The size of the cell is also a factor. Mine is significantly oversized or my pool. My VSP runs approx 13 hours per day, and my Aqua Logic/Plus (always forget the one- it has a digital display) is set on 15% and I struggle to keep the chlorine down below 10 lol.

Prior to my VSP I used to run my Superpump 8 hours a day (Here in GA) and kept my cell about 60% or so.

I would just set it as you were recomended, keep the same run times, and check it a couple times per week. Adjust it up or down as need be.

Good Luck!

Another way to increase your FC is to run the SWG longer.
Example: I am currently running my SWG at 30% for about 5 hours a day.
This gives me an "in range" fc reading consistantly but I am still tweaking.

My SWG is oversized, this the 30%. Most run at 40-60%

One point often overlooked by many owners (including me) is that one can get into a situation where there is a presentant ongoing biological problem and yet the chlorine levels are correct. The difference is that the SWCG is being run at a higher setting than if the pool did not have the problem. So for example without the problem you can run the SWCG at 30% with an FC of 5, and with the problem SWCG at 50% and FC of 5! Water looks clean in both cases. The only way to really tell is to look at your overnigh FC loss and/or shock the pool.

That being said you do have a large pool, so will have to run the SWCG longer and at higher settings than other people with smaller pools.

Thanks everyone!

My CYA is low, but I'm bringing it up. I was just a little worried based on what the pool guy said and what I was seen, but these comments are reassuring. Plus, it could have been a throwaway comment by the pool guy!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.