Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hello from OK

1. Back To Top    #1

Hello from OK

I have been using the pool calculator for years and it has keep my pool looking great, I recently switched to SWG and love it! I have some questions about my results and I'm wondering if anyone can help.

Can you help me understand my results:

22500 gallon plaster salt water pool salt 3900
    Free chlorine 6.6
    combined chlorine 0(sample remains clear after adding 5 drops of R-0003) of taylor fas dpd kit
    pH 7.4
    TA 140
    CH 340
    cyanuric acid greater than 100
    pool is crystal clear and feels and looks great

I would think with a Cyan Acid of >100 and Free chlorine of 6.6 that I would have some combined chlorine.
    is the Calcium hardness throwing off my calculations? I have repeated this and get the same results consistently

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Hello from OK

I would think with a Cyan Acid of >100 and Free chlorine of 6.6 that I would have some combined chlorine.
    To my knowledge there is no correlation....why do you think the CC's would be present?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Bartlesville, OK

Hello from OK

Swg pools can operate at a lower fc than other methods, check pool calculator to see what your recommended minimum is. You might not be too far from the minimum so things may not had time to start growing.

Greetings by a fellow okie
    27000 gal 18x36 rectangle In-Ground built in 1978
    Vinyl liner, 3/4hp Hayward Super pump, single speed 3450rpm
    Sand Filter: 300 pound sta-rite T-240BP-1, 3.14 sqft surface area
    Using bleach since 2 Compupool SWG units have failed
    K-2006 Test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

@Dave S, Maybe I don't understand the relationship between FC CC and Cyanuric acid, I thought cyan uric acid kept FC high by having a reserve of combined chlorine, but I am not a chemist. Does the pool need to have CC? do I need to add something to keep the pool balanced? thanks!
    M in OK

5. Back To Top    #5
    SW MO

I think of CC's as the dead soldiers in the battle with algae. If you have dead soldiers there's a fight going on somewhere, if you don't have CC's then you don't currently have anything major wrong, yet.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

6. Back To Top    #6

Flower Mound, TX

You may never have CC show up on a test. It all depends on how fast it is oxidized either by the sun or by FC itself. There isn't any correlation between the presence of CC and CYA.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT