Triton minmax400, troubleshooting

Bob d

Jun 8, 2012
Hello all, my heater, which is 10 years old, has been giving me problems. The spa switch has not been working,neverless, I have been using the pool switch to heat my spa. Well the stat was off last week after I opened up the pool. Now, I have only the power light on,no other lights(therm,aux,press,heat). I was thinking this could be a thermostat circuit board operation problem(which then means expensive circuit board replacement). I've had mice make nests,which i've cleaned up and heat shrinked some wires,that they chewed. After that, everything worked fine, until yesterday. :cheers:

Sounds like a problem with the thermostat board. Is this a Minimax or Minimax CH? You can probably find the thermostat board online, but you need to know exactly which model. The swap out should be trivial. It's also possible that the rocker switch may need to be cleaned up with som DeOx spray. This helps to fix problems with switches and potentiometers. After a while, they build up oxidation products that interfere with conductivity. I'd first go with the DeOx route and then move on to purchasing a new thermostat board.

Thanks Craig for the quick response. My OM says minimax plus and powerMax, nameplate states miniMax 400. What is minimax CH? By DeOx do you mean WD-40? Or a specific electrical spray.

Bob d said:
Thanks Craig for the quick response. My OM says minimax plus and powerMax, nameplate states miniMax 400. What is minimax CH? By DeOx do you mean WD-40? Or a specific electrical spray.

No not WD-40. DE-OX-ID Premium Electronic Contact Cleaner. You might have to buy it from eBay if not found in stores by you.

Thanks Paul, confirmed circuit board,ordered it; $85. Will do install when it arrives, looks like old board just snaps away from plastic friction fasteners. Took switch off and used electric contact cleaner,reinstalled.

Bob:

The MiniMax CH line is a newer one than the original Triton MiniMax. They appear to have slightly different parts. In any event, once the board comes, you might want to DeOx the crimp connectors that plug into the thermostat board, just to make sure there is good contact. Let us know how this turns out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.