Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Concrete Anchor for Cantilever Umbrella

1. Back To Top    #1

Concrete Anchor for Cantilever Umbrella

Over on the Indiana Hill Billy Pool Dig thread, user 8corneflakes showed off a pic of their beautiful—and bargain priced—cantilever umbrella from Kohl's.

We loved it (and the price) we got one as well! Here's how it looked on Kohl's website:

Unfortunately, the base for it is a monstrosity:

Look at it! It dwarfs my patio furniture. I refuse to have such a gigantic eyesore in my back yard. So, I dug a hole:

It's over 3 feet deep and just over a foot in diameter:

I filled the bottom with gravel, then I inserted a concrete forming tube:

Mixed up 300 pounds of concrete:

Poured it in:

Placed bolts into carefully measured holes in a board:

And carefully embedded the bolts in the concrete. After a day or so I removed the board:

And kept the concrete anchor wet for a good, thorough cure:

After a week, I bolted the umbrella's base to the concrete anchor:

And completed assembly! No more FUGLY base!

From the side:

This was my first time working with concrete. It wasn't as scary as I thought!

Anyway, thanks 8corneflakes for the umbrella source!
    I laugh—to disguise the tears.
    Size 15,000 gal 510′² | Filtration DE 48′² | Sanitation SWG+O₃ | Placement in-ground (IG) | Finish pebble
    Pumps Intelliflo VS+SVRS main WhisperFlo WF-28 feature | Location Dallas TX US (33ºN 97ºW)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Concrete Anchor for Cantilever Umbrella

Nice, clean, neat job.

Look into purchasing or making a cover for your umbrella to use when it is closed. If not, the sun will destroy the fabric in a short period of time. I'm on my second umbrella (covered when closed) since my first one lasted only a year.

Regards,
    -Gary
    12,000 gallon, tile finish, in-ground pool with spill over spa.
    Pump - Sta-Rite 1.5 HP
    Filter - Hayward Star-Clear C-1200
    SWG - AutoPilot Soft Touch
    Pool Skim
    Zodiac MX8
    BBB since 11/2008
    South Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by ge2655
    Nice, clean, neat job.

Look into purchasing or making a cover for your umbrella to use when it is closed. If not, the sun will destroy the fabric in a short period of time. I'm on my second umbrella (covered when closed) since my first one lasted only a year.

Regards,
    -Gary
    I second that. I'm on my second umbrella (not cantilever but just really nice!) as the first was destroyed by a falling tree branch. The top of the old one was severely faded, and I'm getting fade marks on this one (it's black.) Definitely need to make a cover for it!
    Offer accepted on short-sale... let's see how long this process takes, I want to swim!!!

4. Back To Top    #4

Did you use "J-Bolts"? I cant tell by your photo - be very careful with wind load if the only penetration is straight bolts. That can rip out. The fasteners should have been galvanized to inhibit corrosion and the chemical reaction to the concerete. They look like they are Yellow Zinc coated in the photo's??

You did a nice job- I just dont want to see it come out of the footer on a high wind day.
    16 x 32 Grecian Vinyl. Salt-Aqua Plus PS-4, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter, Hayward Ecostar SP34000vsp, Gulfstream HE-125-T-A Heat/Cool heat Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

I like that you got your Crocs their very own pair of sungalsses!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Uh oh! jhalpinjr, they're hex head zinc covered bolts. Looks like I'm in for some future ... ahem ... maintenance! EEEP!

Bama Rambler: haha! Sharp eyes!
    Size 15,000 gal 510′² | Filtration DE 48′² | Sanitation SWG+O₃ | Placement in-ground (IG) | Finish pebble
    Pumps Intelliflo VS+SVRS main WhisperFlo WF-28 feature | Location Dallas TX US (33ºN 97ºW)

7. Back To Top    #7

Nice job. I never thought about doing that. I am planning my pool now and that is going into the plan.
    PLANNING: 16k gallon 31'x17' free form with 12" raised spa w/16 jets, depth 3.5 x 6 x 4, pebble finish, 5 returns, 2 skimmers, Jandy 60 DE, Intelliflo SVRS, AquaPure SWCG, Jandy PDA PS8 Controller, Jandy Actuator, iAquaLink, Jandy LRZ400 Gas Heater, Polaris 280 w/booster pump, 2 Jandy LED pool light, 1 Jandy LED Spa light, Letro Autofill, Rainbow 320 chlorinator, turbo twist slide, extra bbq gas hookup, hose bibs, sprinkler reroute, 3 Jandy Deckjets, Oklahoma stone spa facing and coping, 3 tier spa face, 625 sq ft aggregate decking, 3 pool benches

8. Back To Top    #8

Nice job. I did something similar, but as usual, I kinda made it hurricane proof. I have nearly 1200lbs of concrete/sand with 4 foot pipes embedded in angles to prevent any movement.

Poured the block with embedded bolts (poured two blocks for two 11 foot cantilever umbrellas)...

Bolted the base down to it (then filled the base with 300lbs of sand):

Voila'...

9. Back To Top    #9

Hah! That's great! I dare a hurricane to even try!

10. Back To Top    #10

Hi Nutjob ... if you still have the base ... any desire to sell it? I'm short a base and having a tough time sourcing one through the manufacturer or Kohls. Tx

11. Back To Top    #11

So sorry pooling! The base is long gone.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by pooling View Post
    Hi Nutjob ... if you still have the base ... any desire to sell it? I'm short a base and having a tough time sourcing one through the manufacturer or Kohls. Tx
    Some excellent examples of how to properly weight a cantilever umbrella here... 300 lbs of concrete! That will certainly do it. I found this guide to be quite helpful in setting up a cantilever umbrella base that doesn't flop over in the mild breeze.