I found this sight late in the season last year (unfortunately ), but made the decision to go with the methods outlined here for this pool season. I wished I'd taken a picture of the "before" pool -- let's just say we had a family of ducks living on the cover, which didn't come off too well.
I started the process last week, after skimming through Pool School, and went through a heckuva lot of chlorine, baking soda, acid, etc., in just a few days...I then realized I needed to re-read Pool School and WOW!! What a huge difference!! In a matter of days, I have a pool that's almost ready to swim in. There's something on the bottom that the brush just isn't moving, so it looks like I might have to get wet to finish the job. Wish I had a wet suit!! Anyway, thanks so much to all who post here -- seasoned pros and noobs alike -- all of your experiences have sold me on what you preach!! The wife just shakes her head, but we're not spending $$$ at the pool store and it looks better than it has in years!