pH won't stay down

tlwilson

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 15, 2010
Nebraska
I am getting frustrated with the pH in my pool. Last weekend I brought it down to 7.2, aerated and got the TA to 80 from 120. Now 5 days later, it is back up to 7.6 and TA is 110. Every time I add liquid chloring 12.5%, the pH rises about .2. I did add about 4 inches of fresh water. I tested my tap water and the TA was 180. Should I just resign myself to pH rising and add MA routinely at 7.6 to stay on top of it?

Any time the PH gets to 7.8, lower it down to 7.2. If that is happening too frequently, so that it gets annoying, you might want to think about adding an automatic acid feed system.

Bleach raises the PH right when you add it, and then the PH comes down again as the chlorine gets used up. There is only a very tiny net change in the PH due to bleach/liquid chlorine, too small to measure in most cases.

I have the same issue and keep lowering it almost weekly. My TA is about 90-110, FC 2-5, CYA 30-40

I find it a bit difficult to see the exact PH reading (Taylor K1000), but when it's around 7.8 (against white background) I lower it with 12oz of ph down. Then I test again in a couple hours and lower it again if needed.

One pool store owner told me it's a common issue with in-ground pools in this area (NE) and that's normal. I don't know if that's accurate info, but he is not seasonal kid, he's been at the same location for more than 10 years

JasonLion said:
Bleach raises the PH right when you add it, and then the PH comes down again as the chlorine gets used up. There is only a very tiny net change in the PH due to bleach/liquid chlorine, too small to measure in most cases.

Low and behold, pH went down on its own to 7.2 after a hot sunny day and chlorine got used up. Previously I had tested the pH this morning. I add bleach at night and don't lose any chlorine overnight, so I was testing the pH at the time it would be highest. Thanks! Another key thing to learn.

Bleach will have no overall effect on pH. There is a temporary upswing just as bleach is introduced but pH quickly returns to it's original level.

I'm not sure why your pH went up and then down, but don't look for bleach be the answer. I have changed the FC in my pool by 10ppm and can never detect any appreciable change in pH sfter just a few hours.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.