new pool owner with High Chlorine

Poolcalc said baking soda would minimally impact pH; I put 750 oz of baking soda in a 40k gal pool in poolcalc, and it said pH would only move by 0.17 or something.

Was it missing a decimal place or two?

frogabog said:
I'd be curious to know how to increase TA from 10ppm to ~70ppm without blasting the roof off the pH. Assuming the pH test is correct (even if it might not be, let's assume cuz it's not that rare to see 6.8), how would you raise it? Baking soda raises pH more than soda ash/washing soda, but even so, to get to ~70 it would take eight 6.8-7.6 pH events to get there. And that's assuming pH could be lowered to 6.8 again in a reasonable time frame.

Exactly how would you brilliant minds do it? This one confuses me quite frankly...

So I am not really following you here at all unless I am overlooking some interaction not accounted for in the poolcalculator. I know the bottom is not perfect when dealing with pH, but I still do not understand why frogabog thinks the pH will go up more with baking soda than washing soda?

For a 25,000 gallon pool, using the bottom of the poolcalculator:

1 lb baking soda: raise TA by 2.9 and pH by 0.01
1 lb soda ash: raise TA by 4.5 and pH by 0.14
1 lb borax: raise TA by 1.2 and pH by 0.07 and borax by 0.5

extrapolating roughly (not using the website):
50 lbs borax: raise TA by ~60 and pH by ~3.5 and borax by 25 ... obviously this is not a good idea for raising TA
13 lbs soda ash: raise TA by ~60 and pH by ~1.8 ... pretty large pH rise
20 lbs baking soda: raise TA by ~60 and pH by ~0.2 ... seems VERY reasonable

EDIT: OH I think I see what happened. Any chance you were looking at caustic soda instead of baking soda????

frogabog said:
I'd be curious to know how to increase TA from 10ppm to ~70ppm without blasting the roof off the pH. Assuming the pH test is correct (even if it might not be, let's assume cuz it's not that rare to see 6.8), how would you raise it? Baking soda raises pH more than soda ash/washing soda, but even so, to get to ~70 it would take eight 6.8-7.6 pH events to get there. And that's assuming pH could be lowered to 6.8 again in a reasonable time frame.

Exactly how would you brilliant minds do it? This one confuses me quite frankly...
Ummmm....

go try out the Pool Calculator in your signature. :roll:

Let's say his pool is 20000 gallons. 329 oz - roughly 20 lbs - of baking soda will raise TA by 73 and pH by .15. That would put TA right in range and leave pH still a bit low

Adding the same amount of soda ash will raise pH by 3.57 and TA by 116. I don't want to swim in 10+ pH. And his TA will be well above recommended levels.

Going just by pH, 18 oz of soda ash will raise pH by .2 and TA by 6.4.

How would your brilliant mind do it?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.