SWG test?

Apr 11, 2012
5K gallon above-ground
PH = 7.1
CYA = ~70
Chlorine = negligible

And this is my problem...my Intex SWG just doesn't seem to be generating enough chlorine. Running pump and generator for 8 hours/day now. Checked copper cell and there's little buildup...cleaned it anyway with a good daytime-long soak in white vinegar. This generator is on its third year...thinking that a replacement is in the very near future, unless someone can come up with a remedy I haven't thought of. Thanks in advance.

Are you sure there is no algae?

If you are sure it is clear, try running the pump and SWG longer.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Did you open your pool recently? Maybe you need another chlorine source (liquid chlorine) to start the year and then let the SWG take over. That's what I do when I open my pool.

If your SWG was keeping your pool chlorinated and now it isn't, algae is certainly a possibility. Is you water clear? Try the over night test after adding bleach and see what happens. Dont want to buy an expensive piece of equipment only to fine out that all you needed was some bottles of bleach.

Water is crystal clear. Did have an algae breakout a couple of weeks ago, cleared up with a couple of bottles of bleach. I can *smell* chlorine being produced by the SWG when I walk up to the pool, but it doesn't seem to be retained for very long. I am getting a lot more direct sunlight on the pool- about 6 hours now, but you'd think that the CYA would be doing its job better than it seems to be.

I've always heard that if you can smell the chlorine it's fighting something, if everything is in balance you won't smell it. I'd do an overnight loss test.

The smell is the CC ... after the FC is breaking something down. If you smell it then there must be high levels of CC that still need to be broken down.

I highly doubt a couple bottles of bleach would clear up algae although you have the SWG helping. Did you actually follow the shock process until you passed all three tests? If not, I suggest you start the process again.

Okay- shocked the pool on Saturday evening, measured this morning to find CL between 3-4. Also added some borax to raise PH between 7.2 - 7.5. Didn't run a CY test. So...is the shock treatment going to be a necessary thing every once in a while? It was my understanding that the whole reason behind SWG was to not have to shock. Is the SWG simply taking the place of the Cl "floater" in a freshwater system?

I run my 2 button (older model) Intex SWG for 4 hours a day on my 18'x33' oval pool to maintain my pool so yours should easily do the 5k pool. Do you have a DPD test kit so you can test for CC? You can't use the SWG to shock but it is great at maintaining a pool. Unless I lose power or ignore my levels, I'm good for the whole summer on the SWG. I do have to adjust the time up or down depending on temps and the amount the pool is used.

You need to turn off the SWG and go through the shock process using bleach. If the FC dropped a lot overnight them you must have something living that must be killed. After passing the 3 tests to stop, the SWG will be able to maintain a clean pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.