Lots of bubbles

Jul 4, 2010
Apple Valley, California
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello - Real greenhorn amateur here. I'm not a nitwit, but just inexperienced with plumbing and pool hydraulics. I'm getting a lot of air in my pump basket, and I think it's coming from the suction side plumbing. See photo below. My equipment is very old, but I'm not sure just how old. This stuff was here when I bought the place in 2004. I was thinking about replacing everything from the ground up to the pump. I replaced the basket O-ring today, and yes, I greased it up really good with Leslie's Pool & Spa Lube. That helped reduce the air a little bit, but it's still way to much. So, I'm just fishing for tips and advice before I start breaking things. :lol: I want to get all of the parts and materials I will need gathered up before I start. Should I replace the Jandy valve? Oh, I already have a new backwash valve to install. I *think* all I need is all of the necessary PVC parts. Attached is a photo of my current setup.

Thanks in advance for any and all comments,
poollizard

[attachment=0:3l3gke0h]IMGP2977.jpg[/attachment:3l3gke0h]

Attachments

• IMGP2977.jpg
    IMGP2977.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 111
Hi;

I foud my suction side by simply pouring water over each fitting starting at the pump basket and working your way back toward the skimmer. If the bubbles disappear that's where your leak is. Mine turned out to be underground at a 90 degree elbow but only a foot down. Old copper pipe full of holes. Problem solved. If the leak is further undergroud or below the skimmer it obviously more involved.

Good luck.

Gary R

Gary R said:
Hi;

I foud my suction side by simply pouring water over each fitting starting at the pump basket and working your way back toward the skimmer. If the bubbles disappear that's where your leak is. Mine turned out to be underground at a 90 degree elbow but only a foot down. Old copper pipe full of holes. Problem solved. If the leak is further undergroud or below the skimmer it obviously more involved.

Good luck.

Gary R

Thanks for the tip Gary. I've tried doing that, but nothing changes. But, it's really hard to get a good bit of water on all of the connections, since everything is so cramped (see photo). But, when I shut off the pump, some water comes out at the input connection to the pump. Not a lot, but some. So, I'm guessing that's where at least some air is getting in.

See that tee connection that goes off to the right, just in front of the Jandy valve? The previous owner had a spa, and that line went to the spa. Where it terminates I do not know. That red handle you can see in the photo, is a T-shut off valve. When the pimp is running and I switch that Tee valve on and off, nothing changes in the air bubbles. So, I don't know if its working, or if that's the problem. I'm going to cut that pipe off in the near future and cap it.

I suspect you're only problem is the connection in front of the pump. I would cut the pipe to the left of the elbow on the suction fo the pump and install a union there and repair or replace the fittings to the pump suction. I bet that fixes your problem.

Bama Rambler said:
I suspect you're only problem is the connection in front of the pump. I would cut the pipe to the left of the elbow on the suction fo the pump and install a union there and repair or replace the fittings to the pump suction. I bet that fixes your problem.

Dave - you were spot on! Tonight, after getting home from work, I went out to do a backflush. In preparation for the backflush, while the pump was still running, I opened the bleed valve on top of the tank to let out all of the air. Then I left it open just enough for a little water to be coming out. Then, while observing the input junction to the pump, I shut it off. I saw a little bulge of water all around the junction! So, for a temporary fix, I put a bead of Clear Silicone RTV all around the junction. I waited about 15 minutes, and then restarted the pump. I would say the air/bubbles in the basket were now about 90% LESS than before! As I write this, it has now been about two hours running, and I've been little by little purging the air out of the tank, and I'd have to say that the air in the basket is almost gone! Thank you for the tip, Dave!

I am sooooo happy to have found the leak. And, I am going to go on and fix the pump connections when I have the time.

Cheers!
Happy poollizard

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.