Wall Mount Skimmer -- Solar Cover

MtnMisty

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 18, 2012
Northern California
Somewhere I read that solar covers must be removed when running the surface skimmer (wall mount, Intex AG). Now, I can' find the reference. Then, someone told me to cut an area out of the solar cover around the skimmer and then run the skimmer/filter with the cover on.

I'm a bit worried that the skimmer will suck the cover in, still.

I figure the skimmer won't be as efficient cleaning the surface debris with the cover on even if I rig it so that the cover doesn't get sucked in. Yet, it is getting to be a hassle to take the cover off to let the pump do it's job of cleaning. :rant: On the flip-side, it's getting to be a pain swimming in cold water! :mrgreen:

Has anyone come up with a solution to be able to run the pump/skimmer with a solar cover on, at least on occasion?

Thanks in advance!

Just cut a small area away around the skimmer (although even that may not be needed). It will not be able to pull it into the skimmer because the rest of the cover will hit the sides and the entire thing moves a a singe unit.

I would put it on and try it and if you are still worried, cut a small section away.

The skimmer will not be getting hardly any debris as it will all be sitting on the cover.

Thanks for calming my fears, Jason.

I let the pump do it's job last night with the solar cover on. It went 2hrs before I remembered to check, even! All was well in that the skimmer hadn't sucked down the cover. Though, I wonder if it was getting less flow. Nonetheless, I flipped the cover back off the skimmer and left it at that. The wind must have blown it back flat as this morning the cover was over the skimmer again. Maybe I'll clip the cover back on itself around the skimmer for now.

Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.