above ground pool expedition

Ali

Jun 7, 2012
Hello and thank you for being available to help! I have somehow inherited my husbands above ground pool expedition! It is a 17 x 17 vinyl beauty. Trouble is, on Memorial Day weekend I decided to try to bring to life (or death, in this case) the thick green, pollywog laden swamp. I scrubbed, vacuumed and put massive amounts of algaecide and shock in till it reached its' somewhat cloudy present state. I have a simple pool test kit which registers no chlorine or bromine and a ph of 6.8. I think I may have a chemical pond on my hands now. :cheers: I hesitate to add anything else without some wise input! Can you help?

Hi, welcome to TFP! First thing I would have you do is to purchase a high quality test kit such as a TF100 or a Taylor K2006. These will allow you to test FC (free chlorine) levels up to 50 ppm or higher needed to complete the shock process. It sounds like you have put a dent in things already so we will help you finish the job! First you need to take a water sample to a pool store and have it tested. We need to know the CYA level in order to find out what shock level is for your pool. Don't buy anything from the pool store unless they have a fabulous sale on liquid chlorine. Next you will need to stock up on bleach. It can be plain, unscented 6% bleach from the grocery store or 10-12% liquid chlorine from the pool store. Once we have your test results we can go from there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.