Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opening Help

1. Back To Top    #1

Opening Help

How does one get the anti-freeze out of the pipes without dumping it into the pool water?
    20x40 IG Vinyl, 1.5 HP Whisperflo, Sta-Rite System 3 (300) Sq. ft Cart
    Intellichlor IC40 SWCG, 125,000 BTU Pentair heatpump, Polaris 280
    7' IG FG Spa, 2 HP Whisperflo, Pentair Dynamic III Cart (100) Sq. ft

2. Back To Top    #2
    I just set the filter to waste when I first turn the pump on, which gets rid of what's in the skimmer lines. The returns just dump into the pool. It's the same antifreeze that's used in drinking water systems, so it's not harmful.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    Thanks, JohnT. Does this work with a cart filter, which is what I have? Would I just remove/open the drain plug at the bottom of the filter?

4. Back To Top    #4

Could you just connect a hose to the inlet, and hold it in the air, then dump water in, possibly with a garden hose until it comes out clean. i assume that you would not have it connected to the pool of course, so that it would dump onto the ground.
    steve

Above Ground / 18' Round / Vinyl Liner / Sand Filter / 100K Gas Heater / Salt Added / No Nature2

5. Back To Top    #5
    With a typical cartridge filter system you have to let most of the anti-freeze go into the pool, which isn't a problem. There should be a garden hose style valve, used for draining, that will let water out, but it doesn't get a high enough percentage of the water going be to make a significant difference. As long as you used pool anti-freeze this isn't a problem. Pool anti-freeze is the same stuff that they use in the drinking water tanks in RVs, ie suitable for human consumption.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6
    Thanks! I did not know that dumping pool anti-freeze back into the pool water was no big deal. I just had my pool installed last year and the PB closed it for me as part of the deal and I didn't see exactly what he did at closing or what he used as an anti-freeze.

Just to make sure I will call him and find out for sure what he used.