Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool pump low suction

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool pump low suction

Hey guys,
    I found this forum and read how a a ton of pool issues have been resolved! Im hoping someone can help me out! Here is my dilemma:

I have a pentair pool spa pump and a 28x16 above ground pool that is counter-sunk about 3 ft.

I first noticed that the Kreepy Krawler wasnt moving anymore while tryng to vacuum the pool. I did some research and did all of the recommendations. Backwashed, checked and cleaned the skimmers, Checked the union O ring on the skimmer line to pump, checked the lid and o ring on the basket, reached in and to see if there was anything stuck underneath the basket and line going to pump. I am at a loss! Whenever I remove the lid on the basket and close it back up, the pressure seems to increase for about 2 to 3 minutes and there is a ton of air bubbles before it becomes stable and then goes low pressure again. The gauge on the pump stays at about 15 psi.
    I thought that maybe its the pump and I was about to remove and disassemble it, but whenever I backwash the pool, the suction increases tremendously! Does anyone have any pointers for me?

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Pool pump low suction

Welcome to the forum. When the pump is running, can you see air or bubbles in the pump strainer basket?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Only after I clean it, and the water level drops in the basket as well.
    And when I run the Krawler, it pumps very little water as well. It will sit still after about 2 minutes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I am pretty slow so you have to be VERY specific with me. With the pump running, can you see air or bubbles in your pump strainer basket?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    I am pretty slow so you have to be VERY specific with me. With the pump running, can you see air or bubbles in your pump strainer basket?
    While the pump is running I can see a few bubbles yes.

6. Back To Top    #6

Anyone know anything else I can try? Should i take apart the pump itself?

7. Back To Top    #7

Back off a little and take another picture.

Have you checked the impeller for blockage?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

No I have not taken the pump apart yet. I have tried clearing the pathway from the skimmer basket to the pump but doesnt feel like there is any blockage there.

9. Back To Top    #9

Here is a pic of the entire pump
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. Back To Top    #10

The gauge on the pump stays at about 15 psi.
    That sounds normal.

but whenever I backwash the pool, the suction increases tremendously!
    That sounds normal too. After you clean the filter, suction will increase.

When you open the pump basket, the pump will lose prime so when you turn it on again, it takes a few minutes to purge all of the air. So if the pump settles down at 15 PSI, and you no longer see air coming out of the returns, everything is normal.

When the filter gets dirty, the filter pressure will drop and the cleaner will lose suction. After you clean the filter, the suction should improve.

So I guess I don't understand the problem.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by mas985
    The gauge on the pump stays at about 15 psi.
    That sounds normal.

[quote:3q0wsxyh]but whenever I backwash the pool, the suction increases tremendously!
    That sounds normal too. After you clean the filter, suction will increase.

When you open the pump basket, the pump will lose prime so when you turn it on again, it takes a few minutes to purge all of the air. So if the pump settles down at 15 PSI, and you no longer see air coming out of the returns, everything is normal.

When the filter gets dirty, the filter pressure will drop and the cleaner will lose suction. After you clean the filter, the suction should improve.

So I still don't understand the problem.[/quote:3q0wsxyh]

The problem that i have is that I cant run the kreepy krawler like i used to. That little guy would be hauling @$$ cleaning up the pool and now its reallllly slow and after a few minutes completely stops and just sits there. I also noticed that the return doesn't feel as high pressured as it used to be. everything I read online directed me to the skimmer>pump side, its my first above ground pool so Im a noob to all of this :/

12. Back To Top    #12

The issue is that the pressure isn't changing. Does the gauge go to zero when the pump is off?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    The issue is that the pressure isn't changing. Does the gauge go to zero when the pump is off?
    Yes it goes to zero when its off!

14. Back To Top    #14

Are you sure there's not something wrong with the KK?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

If the filter pressure is not changing but the KK stops working on its own, then the problem could be with the KK. Have you gone through the troubleshooting steps:
    http://www.poolcenter.com/cleaners_kreepy_helpfile.htm

There are several things listed that can cause a KK to stop moving.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater