Need help with new pool

jenb

Jun 4, 2012
I had originally started using the 1" tablets in the filter and there was never any chlorine reading on the test strips. I did try and shock the pool about 1 week ago but that still didn't produce any chlorine readings on the test strip. I also used some pH down one day last week and that didn't seem to help either. I did purchase one of your recommended test kits and here are my test results.
FC - .5
CC - .5
pH - above 8
TA - above 300
CH - 390
CYA - 0 (still could see dot at 20)
The daily test for chlorine was 0.
The water looks nice and clear - and it has only been filled for about 10 days. However, I have noticed a few backswimmers in it. I killed about 4 yesterday and 3 today so far. Should I just start over with the directions in pool school?

Thanks,

Hi, Jen,

Welcome to the forum. :lol:

1. You still have time this evening to add a small jug of clorox to your pool. Don't bother testing it will be gone tomorrow but you need it in there tonight if you can do it.....it'll help keep you pool clear

2. Tonight or tomorrow, go to HD, Lowe's Walmart, etc and buy some CYA (also called Cyanuric Acid or Stabilizer) you want o buy enough to get to 30ppm for your pool.

Have you found the pool calculator yet so you can calculate your dosages?

On reread, I see you tried pH down. Dosing directions may not factor in your high TA so that might be why it didn't work. In addition, I have to add something every 2-3 days at first until my TA starts to fall. Then it is still 1-2 times per week.

If you will plug all your numbers into the pool calculator, with gallons and current TA being most important, you can enter in your current pH (8) and goal pH (7.2) and it will calculate the amount of MA or dry acid needed. Dry acid is pH down I believe. Does that number match how much you added?

I added a small jug of clorox to the pool last night. This morning I went and got some stabilizer/conditioner. I have the amount to raise it to 30ppm in the skimmer in a sock. I have the filter running. I guess my next question is what do I do next?

Thanks,

Go squeeze that sock every half hour-45min or so. When it's gone, use the calculated target as your current CYA number in the calculator. It will adjust your minimum, maximum, and shocking chlorine levels. Go forward with those levels in mind.

Lower pH with acid to 7.2-7.4.

If you aren't going to shock the pool (shock if CC is over .5ppm) dose the pool to the maximum for your CYA level. Tonight, test the pool to see how much was lost, and re-dose. You could do an OCLT tonight to be sure - if it loses more than 1ppm overnight (dark time) then you'll need to shock.

Keep in mind for shocking, high chlorine levels can skew pH results. So get the pH down to 7.2-7.4 and then raise chlorine to shock level (pool calculator, as detailed by Allison above). After that, don't test pH while you're shocking as it can be inaccurate while the chlorine is high.

Need to run FC, CC, pH, and TA.

Squeeze sock occasionally. After 24 hours you can assume your CYA is 30 and use that for your calculations.

Today you can shoot for maintaining 2ppm of FC. Tomorrow you want to bump that up to keeping it between 2-6 (dose up to 6ppm, never let it fall below 2ppm).

Before you start shocking, make sure your pH is okay. If it is still high, bring it down. If you need to shock your pool, you need to adjust your pH first and don't test again if your FC is above 10.

Folks,

I know there is a desire to cover all the possibilities and cover all the bases but you must keep instructions to newbies very basic at first. Please take it one step at a time (or close to that) and give newbies a chance to absorb.

You can tell from their response to you when they have grasped what you teach and are ready for the next step. Y'all are both good BBB'rs but remember, just like me, you knew almost nothing when you started. Go slow with newbies. :lol:

jenb said:
I added a small jug of clorox to the pool last night. This morning I went and got some stabilizer/conditioner. I have the amount to raise it to 30ppm in the skimmer in a sock. I have the filter running. I guess my next question is what do I do next?

Thanks,
I hope that amount was 2 cups. Because my 6000gal pool took 3 cups to get to 30ppm, so your pool should take just 2 cups to get to the same place.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I added the amount of clorox that the calculator said after all of the conditioner was gone and this morning I finally have chlorine.
Here are my current test reading:
FC - 8
CC - .5
pH - 7.8
TA - 290
CH - 400
CYA - assuming it is at 30 since that is the amount I put in yesterday.

Do I need to try lowering anything else? I know that I need to wait before swimming until the chlorine is lower. The water is looking great.

Thanks for all of the help!

OK Papa Smurf. We're sorry, and will try not to do it again. :~}

Jen - Just go squish that sock then. Squish, squish, squish... Tell us when all the powder is gone.
EXCELLENT! Four stars for brevity and clarity. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jen,
I know that I need to wait before swimming until the chlorine is lower.
Nope! Go swimming! Anything below shock value is fine to swim in.

Test your pH daily and be prepared to add some muriatic acid to lower it as soon as it test 8.0....I would suggest adding enough to bring it down to 7.4 or so. (your TA will come down some when you do this.)

I added some pH Minus on the 10th when the pH went to 8.2 and ever since then it has been between 7.5 & 7.8. However, my question now is about the FC levels. Last evening it read 5 - FC and 7.8 pH. I added some algaecide since I had not down that yet and I am still getting out a few backswimmers each day. Then this evening when I tested it again the FC was at .5 or lower. It was a sunny 90 degree day today and the pool does not get any shade. I did add a couple of inches of water last night as well. I am planning on adding enough clorox to get it up to 6. The water looks clean and clear. Is this normal for the chlorine levels to go up and down like that?

Thanks,

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.