Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High Chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

High Chlorine

Hi, I'm a new pool owner. We went with a 24' round above ground salt water system. Every time I test the chlorine, it's showing off the charts. I ordered the TF-100 and did the test today and when I test the chlorine, it is showing orange instead of turning yellow. The SWG has been at 100% since we bought it, probably been a month and I didn't realize until I did a test that it was so high. I'm guessing I should just turn the SWG to off and let it run a few days like that to get it down? I ran it on 30% yesterday and half day today until I turned it off when the test kit arrived. Here are the other #'s I got:

FC 1.85
    CC 0
    TC (just add those 2?) 1.85
    TA 90
    CH 250
    CYA 50

Chlorine looks orange when testing
    ph seems around the 7.5 mark with TF-100 and 7.2 when I use the pill looking kit that came with the pool
    24' AG 13,000 gal
    sand filter
    SWG
    TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High Chlorine

Welcome to TFP!

You can't measure 1.85 ppm FC with the TF-100. The normal test is 0.5ppm per drop, so maybe you got 18.5ppm from 37 drops?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes. I believe that's right. Put decimal in wrong spot.
    24' AG 13,000 gal
    sand filter
    SWG
    TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

When you sat the test turned orange, I am assuming that you were using the T-1000 kit that has test vials for chlorine (OTO test which measures Total Chlorine) and ph attached to each other? If yes, then a FC or 18.5 ppm(as measured by the TF-100 FAS-DPD kit)would likely show up as orange on the OTO Total Chlorine test, though that test is really only accurate up to 5 ppm.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

That's the test kit I used. The T-1000 kit. Would turning the swg off and run it a couple days the best to do to lower it? Im hoping its still safe to swim in it? How's the other numbers look?
    24' AG 13,000 gal
    sand filter
    SWG
    TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

Shut off the SWG and leave the pool uncovered. Not sure where you are located but hopefully the sun will burn it off in a few days. It may take awhile seeing you have 50 CYA. You should monitor it closely so it doesn't drop too low but orange on the non-powder test kit is pretty high.

Check out this link for recommended SWG numbers, you are really close on most. pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator
    Mike
    2007 1st full year with AG pool~15k gallons 18'x33' JW
    6/2010 added 2 button Intex SWG-painless except for when reset
    Switched to BBB from Baquacil (couldn't pay me to go back)

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm in Eastern NC.
    24' AG 13,000 gal
    sand filter
    SWG
    TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Slickster
    I'm in Eastern NC.
    It should burn off quicker than it would up here.
    Mike
    2007 1st full year with AG pool~15k gallons 18'x33' JW
    6/2010 added 2 button Intex SWG-painless except for when reset
    Switched to BBB from Baquacil (couldn't pay me to go back)

9. Back To Top    #9

Just tested again, dropped just a little bit, down to 18. Is it safe to swim? Kids are going nuts wanting to jump in.
    24' AG 13,000 gal
    sand filter
    SWG
    TF-100

10. Back To Top    #10

Just tested again, dropped just a little bit, down to 18. Is it safe to swim? Kids are going nuts wanting to jump in.
    From my reading here, if the FC level is at or below shock level for your CYA level it is safe to swim.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

11. Back To Top    #11

mynewpool is right on. CC>0.5, water clear, and FC at or below shock level (for your pools cya level).

What I don't understand is why your FC is taking so long to come down. Am I reading that you only dropped 0.5 ppm FC in two days? Have you turned off the swg? No other chlorine sources going in? How much sun do you get on the pool?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes, the SWG is off, yesterday was the first full day it was off. I had it on 30% for most of the day on Thursday until I tested it, then I turned it off. So basically one full day off not counting the 1/2 day today. The pool gets about 7-8 hours of direct sunlight before the shade starts to cover it. How do I know the shock level of my pool? I'm new to all this.
    24' AG 13,000 gal
    sand filter
    SWG
    TF-100

13. Back To Top    #13

You can plug all of your information into the pool calculator, find it in pool school, and it will tell you at the bottom of the page what your shock levels are. The shock level for a pool is related to how much CYA you have.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

14. Back To Top    #14

How do I know the shock level of my pool?
    poolcalculator.com gives me a shock value of 16 ppm for your 50 ppm cya level.